Author Topic: Obituary Elizabeth Watterson, dod Sept 12, 1936 Lower Mullan, Co. Tyrone  (Read 5213 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary Elizabeth Watterson, dod Sept 12, 1936 Lower Mullan, Co. Tyrone
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 April 21 17:52 BST (UK) »
i used familysearch and still could not bring up the departure of Ignatius in 1919 from Philadelphia. As for the death of Samuel in 1954 that would be the previously mentioned Samuel, son of Joseph Watterson and Mary Ann Clarke.
Ignatius was married to Elizabeth Clarke. There is bound to be a Watterson connection as well but I don't have that sorted out as yet. There are many Watterson/Watterson marriages, as well as Watterson/Clarke marriages.
It is possible Ignatius died in Ireland Mar 12, 1942 but the death was  in an infirmary in Magherafelt, and no relatives are present at death.
One of the reasons that I was looking for Elizabeth's obit was that, besides Benjamin present at her death, and Mary living in Brooklyn, there were 2 other daughters that I was wondering about - Helena aka Lena aka Fanny born 1897 and Margaret born abt 1904. Both Helena and Margaret were on the 1911 census in Ireland.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 April 21 19:15 BST (UK) »
Did you find the births for Helena /Lena/Fanny ..And for Margaret in Ireland I'm not having much luck with them ???I

Rosie

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 April 21 19:27 BST (UK) »

Helena aka Lena aka Fanny born 1897 and Margaret born abt 1904. Both Helena and Margaret were on the 1911 census in Ireland.
Peggy

Might this one belong to your Watterson Family ? New York, U.S., Arriving Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957 - Margaret Helena Watterson born 1903 Magherafelt - single - grocer - last known address Belfast, Northern Ireland - arriving 19 November 1929 on the Albertic - Arrival Port:   New York, New York, USA
Years in US Permanently - Citizenship Intention Yes
Height 5 Feet, 6 Inches - Hair Colour Auburn - Eye Colour Blue - Complexion Fair
Money in Possession:   $200
Person in Old Country Sister-in-law - Mrs E Watterson 159 Old Park Road, Belfast Ireland
Person in US Joseph Watterson -  Relationship Brother
Sibling Joseph Watterson 161 E 69 th Street New York.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 April 21 19:33 BST (UK) »
Same Person as above -  Margaret Helena Watterson - 1907 Lisnamarrow Northern Ireland. - aged 28 years -
Last Known Residence:   New York, N.y.

Departure Port   Belfast, Ireland - Arrival Date 15 Oct 1935 New York on the Lancastria.
Citizenship Intention   Yes
Height 5 Feet, 5 Inches Hair Colour Auburn Eye Colour Blue Complexion Fair
Money in Possession $100.00 - had been in USA November 1929 - 1935 - retruning to 556 West 140 th Street New York
Person in Old Country Mr. R J Robert Watterson - Brother, Belfast Northern Ireland.
Person in US Joseph Watterson - Person in US Relationship Brother
Sibling R J Robert Watterson, 157 Old Park Road. Belfast, Ireland.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 April 21 19:34 BST (UK) »
Just found a marriage for Lena Watterson 24 March 1920 Ireland
Father Ignatius Watterson ( farmer )
Spouse David Crossett
Witnesses Robert J Crossett
Sarah Jane Watterson

Rosie

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 April 21 19:46 BST (UK) »
Samuel Watterson - 17 November 1875 Ireland - 19 June 1954 Montgomery PA - aged 78 years.
Father Joseph Watterson - Mother Mary Ann Clark
Certificate Number 51341 - Gastric Hemorrhage.  Gastric Ulcer.

FIND A GRAVE

Samuel Watterson -died 1954

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/214638177/samuel-watterson

Margaret Watterson - died 1937

North Cedar Hill CemeteryPhiladelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/214510073/margaret-watterson

Sandra

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 April 21 20:03 BST (UK) »
Just found a marriage for Lena Watterson 24 March 1920 Ireland
Father Ignatius Watterson ( farmer )
Spouse David Crossett
Witnesses Robert J Crossett
Sarah Jane Watterson

Link on IrishGenealogy-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1920/09249/5347709.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 April 21 21:46 BST (UK) »
More wonderful messages while I was off to the opthamologist. First of all, Kiltaglassan and rosie17, that would be the correct Lena Watterson who married David Crossett in 1920 with father Ignatius.
At birth, Lena was registered as Fanny Watterson May 23, 1897. On the 1901 census, she is Helena Watters and on the 1911, she is Lena Watterson.
Mary was Mary at birth Mar 24, 1902 but Sarah on the 1911 census. Now we have tracked her till her death in Brooklyn, thanks to all your wonderful help.
Benjamin was born Aug 11, 1895 in Ballymulderg More, Co. Derry, but the family moved down to Mullan, Co. Tyrone. He was still alive in 1936 when his mother died.
Margaret on the 1911 - I did not find her birth abt 1904. Her only brother that I know of was Benjamin.
Sandra, her details do not fit the Margaret Helena Watterson born 1907 Lisnamorrow with brother R. J. Robert in Belfast and brother Joseph in USA. I do have a Margaret born 1890 in Ballymulderg with brother Robert John born 1885 but no brother Joseph unless I am missing him. I believe this Margaret has been mentioned before and I couldn't place her then and I still can't. Something else I must pursue as I am now intrigued. She should be on the 1930 census at 556 West 140 th Street New York since she was in the USA Nov 1929-1935.
As for Samuel, who died 1954, it was his wife Margaret nee Bell who died in 1937.
There is another Mary Watterson who lived at 2095 Nostrand Ave., Brooklyn in 1927 as did her cousin Elizabeth Watterson (Elizabeth was sister-in-law to Samuel  George Buick). I haven't figured out Mary as yet.
Thanks again all of you.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 April 21 22:09 BST (UK) »
Sandra - You found a Margaret Helena Watterson born 1903 travelling to the USA in 1929 who had a sister-in-law Mrs. E. Watterson of 159 Old Park Road, Belfast. Well, this is what was mentioned before. Maybe we can sort this Margaret Helena and Elizabeth out.

Elizabeth
Last name   Watterson
Gender   Female
Age   36
Birth year   1894
Occupation   Grocer
Departure year   1930
Departure day   31
Departure month   8
Departure port   Belfast
Destination port   New York

Last address 159 Oldpark Road, Belfast.

From a 1956 newspaper:

.     FOUND IN SODA FARL A piece of metal three-quarters of an inch square found in a soda farl led to Elizabeth Waterson. of 159 Oldpark Road. being fined ... at Belfast Summons Court today for selling unfit food   

Ah, but then this likely rules her out, also from 1956 newspaper:

.    Mrs. Elizabeth Watterson, trading as Elizabeth Halliday, 159 Oldpark Road