Author Topic: iPhone 6s died on me  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
iPhone 6s died on me
« on: Thursday 29 April 21 09:38 BST (UK) »
Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Phone fine, working normally, then it suddenly shut down while I was entering a calendar event. Logo came back after a few seconds and then the number prompt. It worked for a while then did it again.

I had put it on charge in case the battery was low although it shouldn’t have been as it showed over 60% a couple of hours previously and I hadn’t used it.

The situation has gone from there to now where all I can get out of it is if it’s plugged into charge when I get the logo coming up and going off, if not plugged in it stays completely blank. The number prompt is no more.

I really can’t think why it should be fine and a couple of hours later completely dead.

Any ideas as to what’s happened?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone 6s died on me
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 April 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
Has it been dropped?

I had a similar problem a few years ago with a Samsung phone. It was accidentally knocked of a shelf at my hairdressers (not by me!) and it worked for a few days afterwards but got worse and worse. I took it into the Samsung shop and they replaced a chip. They said the wiring and chip had been damaged.  It worked fine afterwards. Maybe call in to the Apple shop  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 April 21 13:40 BST (UK) »
Not an Iphone, but my ipad was doing just the same restarted several times, there was an update yesterday and fingers crossed haven’t had the problem since.
I know it’s not much help, but could be an apple fault rather than your phone.
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 April 21 15:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.

I don’t think it has been dropped but as it is always in my pocket I suppose I could have knocked it against something.

Your comment re update is interesting mumjo. I asked my son if he had any ideas and he said it sounds as though it is stuck trying to do an update.

As you say Gadget, a call in to the Apple shop.

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 April 21 16:47 BST (UK) »
Try a 'forced reboot' its quite simple and painless.  Hold the down both the power and home buttons together for about 10seconds, when the apple logo appears on the screen let go of the buttons.

It worth a try won't do any harm.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 April 21 17:17 BST (UK) »
Many thanks purlin but I’ve already tried that several times.

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 April 21 05:51 BST (UK) »
Was it in a cold environment at the time? Mine would spontaneously reboot at anything under five degrees Centigrade, even when plugged in to the charger. If it was unplugged from the charger, it would often plunge from 100% to 1% within a minute of leaving home, then reboot a few minutes later. This is a widely documented phenomenon with this model.

I finally upgraded to an iPhone 12 last month, after five years of owning my 6s. Well worth it. It's probably time for you to consider the change too.
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 April 21 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Rattus. It wasn’t any colder than usual at the time.

Perhaps it’s just time for my phone to succumb to a known problem and not worth carrying on with. It’s a shame really because I’d been happy with it till now.

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 April 21 16:49 BST (UK) »
It does seem a shame, iPhone 6 is still very useable and supported. Perhaps don't give up too quickly, try the Apple Store and see what words of wisdom they offer.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.