Author Topic: iPhone 6s died on me  (Read 1734 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone 6s died on me
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 April 21 17:09 BST (UK) »
Lots of people here have had the same problem, but no real answer apart from a new battery. However the cost of getting that done may not be worth it on the off chance that is the problem. Time to upgrade, I think you'll be surprise at the difference.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/67614/My+iPhone+boots+to+the+Apple+logo+and+then+turns+itself+off.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 11:17 BST (UK) »
It does seem a shame, iPhone 6 is still very useable and supported. Perhaps don't give up too quickly, try the Apple Store and see what words of wisdom they offer.

I'm afraid it will not be supported much longer. Apple only support phones for 5 years and then declare them unfit for anything but landfill.

The last iPhone 6 was made in September 2016, so in October onwards, the staff in an Apple store will just laugh at you and try to sell you something costing £900+ rather than a £30 battery (which they will charge you £200 for fitting).

In any case, they will attempt to talk you out of a battery swap, claiming that various other parts of the phone must be worn out too, and seeing the chance of commission on that £900+ sale.

Have a listen to this week's "Dare to Repair" on Radio 4, where the presenter explores the options for repairing an iPhone 5C.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000vp3b

Apple infamously make it progressively more difficult to repair their kit. If you open two iPhone 12 cases and swap the batteries over, both will then declare that the fitted battery is counterfeit.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 12:21 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you both but problem now solved. Son got himself a new phone and I now have his previous one.

My other son who is in IT managed to bring my 6s up and running by using iTunes. Unfortunately he couldn’t get it to do anything, not even a factory reset.

So it seems the battery was not to blame. At least I know it was definitely dead. Presumably the next thing is to do is find the hammer!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 13:31 BST (UK) »
It does seem a shame, iPhone 6 is still very useable and supported. Perhaps don't give up too quickly, try the Apple Store and see what words of wisdom they offer.

I'm afraid it will not be supported much longer. Apple only support phones for 5 years and then declare them unfit for anything but landfill.

The last iPhone 6 was made in September 2016, so in October onwards, the staff in an Apple store will just laugh at you and try to sell you something costing £900+ rather than a £30 battery (which they will charge you £200 for fitting).

In any case, they will attempt to talk you out of a battery swap, claiming that various other parts of the phone must be worn out too, and seeing the chance of commission on that £900+ sale.

Have a listen to this week's "Dare to Repair" on Radio 4, where the presenter explores the options for repairing an iPhone 5C.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000vp3b

Apple infamously make it progressively more difficult to repair their kit. If you open two iPhone 12 cases and swap the batteries over, both will then declare that the fitted battery is counterfeit.

You should check your battery health via 'settings >battery>battery health.'
Apple still support and will replace batteries for the iphone 6.
A new battery would probably cost you around £40.
Apple employees would never laugh at you for asking about a new battery. They are trained to be nice and respectful to everyone.
Apple employees do not get 'commission' on any sales.
It would not hurt to make an appointment at an Apple store to get it checked There may be a simple and cheap solution. If it is not fixable, Apple will recycle or dispose of it correctly.
 :)

Added: A 2020 Iphone SE starts at £399, an Iphone 12 mini costs from £699 .... both examples are substantially less than £900.  :)

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 13:59 BST (UK) »

You should check your battery health via 'settings >battery>battery health.'
Apple still support and will replace batteries for the iphone 6.
A new battery would probably cost you around £40.
Apple employees would never laugh at you for asking about a new battery. They are trained to be nice and respectful to everyone.
Apple employees do not get 'commission' on any sales.
It would not hurt to make an appointment at an Apple store to get it checked There may be a simple and cheap solution. If it is not fixable, Apple will recycle or dispose of it correctly.
 :)

I had a new battery fitted at an Apple store for £25.00 as they had an offer in operation (normal price from memory was £45.00).   The Apple staff could not have been nicer.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 14:03 BST (UK) »
Last week I took my old working iPhone 6s into my local Apple store for recycling and they gave me £60 for it, I also took an old working iPad and they gave me £65. I have no current purchase in mind but the money is in the form of cards which do not expire so that is no problem.

You should never just throw away old electronic equipment, one because they may have your data on them and two because some of their components and connections are made from materials which are finite. Meaning once they are gone from the world they are gone for good.

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 14:28 BST (UK) »
I was using my old iPhone 5 whilst the 6 was not usable. Had that been fixed the 5 would have been recycled, once cleared of data.  Recycling the 6 is a problem.

Unfortunately there is no local Apple shop, and I’m not using public transport at present.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 14:44 BST (UK) »
I am not 100% sure Retriever, but I believe you might be able to post your phone for repairing. It is not ideal though, as interaction and discussion is generally required before making a decision on any repairs - I'm not sure if or how that would work.  :)

You can also phone Apple Support to see what advice they can give you.

Yes, Crumblie, I think components are removed from old phones and ipads and then recycled.

Harry, I think that was a special deal a while back because there were some issues with some batteries (I have forgotten the specifics).