Author Topic: Could a couple marry twice?  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Could a couple marry twice?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 April 21 13:16 BST (UK) »
I have an instance of my 1st1R cousin marrying twice in the 1920s to the same woman. I have both certificates. I think it was down to family snobbery or similar.

They first married in a registry office and a few years later married in the local church. They were married by my cousin's brother who was an ordained C of E minister, although he worked in a school. Whether the brother was aware of this or not, I don't know. I think I must have been the first in the family to discover this - about 90 years after the event.  Their daughter was born about 18 months after the church wedding.

I take it that the first marriage was the correct one and the second was not valid.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 April 21 13:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for everyone’s ideas and input. I think the best thing for me to next is try and view the register if that’s possible. Does anyone know if the images for the Droitwich PRs have been put online?

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 April 21 13:44 BST (UK) »
My Catholic ancestors who married in England between 1754-1836 had 2 wedding ceremonies, a Catholic one and an Anglican one. The Anglican ceremony was the official one. Everyone except Jews and Quakers had to marry in C. of E. during that period.
I've also found, as Gadget has, some couples who married in 20thC. at a registry office and later at a church. 
Cowban

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 April 21 16:12 BST (UK) »
I've found some LDS transcriptions with very 'broad' locations regarding place (Worcs), and ones that contradict other transcriptions, so I'd tend to go with the 'other' one which is to a specific church.

fhs online have the transcription with the marriage at Droitwich St Peter.

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 April 21 17:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks, lisa  ;D