Author Topic: Why Two Records of Birth?  (Read 2213 times)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Why Two Records of Birth?
« on: Thursday 29 April 21 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Perhaps I am not understanding the registration system for births. I am searching for my mother's half sister, born Nancy McGregor, some time between 1929 - 1934. She was the 3rd child born to a single mother who couldn't support them all. A relative arranged for 'wee Nancy' to be adopted. The family was from Argyll and I did find a birth registration for a Nancy Evaleen MacGregor born 1931 in North Knapdale, which might fit. However, there is another registration for that name, that year, in Kilmore and Kilbride, Argyll. Does this point perhaps to an adoption, and a new birth registration? Then I noticed several other Nancy M(a)cGregors on that same page who seem to be registered in 2 different places. Thank you for helping me understand the meaning of this.

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Why Two Records of Birth?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 April 21 15:35 BST (UK) »
It is likely to be same name for different people registered
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 April 21 15:46 BST (UK) »
The thing is that the names are so unusual. How many Nancy Evaleen MacGregors would be born in Argyll in a given year? I have never even heard the given name Evaleen until now. Another person on that page on SP is Nancy Meiklejohn McGregor, also listed twice, same year, different locations. Can there be 2 people with that name? These are too recent to look at, and would have to be ordered, which is not possible right now. I was just wondering if there are reasons why someone might be registered twice in 2 places. My hope was that that reason might be adoption.
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 April 21 16:26 BST (UK) »
Okay, I partially answered my own question by digging through SP's guides. I still don't know if this is our Nancy or why she would be born away from home. Better hospital facilities? Or born where an adoptive family was living? This is what it says on SP "You sometimes find two index entries for a birth. This applies from 1855 to 1934 when a child was born outside the registration district of their parents’ usual residence. The birth was registered in the district where the child was born. The registrar then sent a copy to the registrar of the district where the parents lived. The details were transcribed into that register. Both entries are indexed. If you order a birth certificate it will be from the original, not the transcribed register entry."

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 April 21 16:39 BST (UK) »
Not much help in finding your Nancy but my mother's birth was registered twice.

Mum was born in Edinburgh in 1918 but her mother's home address is given as Kirkwall, Orkney so the birth was registered in both places.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 April 21 17:56 BST (UK) »
If the surname on the index is the same on both cases (McGregor), then the notes from SP explain the why.

Sometimes for illegitimate births and where the father wishes/ed their name to appear on the register, there are 2 registrations, one with his surname and the other the surname of the mother but the location is the same (unless you have the situation you are looking at with different locations coming in to play. By logic, you would then have 4 registrations in two places with two surnames  ::)...I think!).

When you look at the actual birth entry on the register, it will, for example, read 'born here but usual residence there' with given addresses for both.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 April 21 19:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks!

To expand on that, what would be the case in the event of an adoption? Would yet another birth registration be issued with a new surname?

Mary

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 April 21 19:48 BST (UK) »
Yes, there would be. See additional notes here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=848141.0

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 April 21 20:50 BST (UK) »
Sometimes for illegitimate births and where the father wishes/ed their name to appear on the register, there are 2 registrations, one with his surname and the other the surname of the mother but the location is the same.
That's different. It is still just one birth certificate but the birth of an illegitimate child whose father signs the register is indexed twice, once by the father's name and once by the mother's.

That raises the interesting possibility that the same birth certificate might be indexed under three surnames if it was a case of a married or widowed woman having an illegitimate child. I don't think I've ever actually seen that but it is possible.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.