Author Topic: Family in Willesden  (Read 335 times)

Offline anthony H-B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family in Willesden
« on: Thursday 29 April 21 16:20 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon. New on here.
Researching my family tree, for many years now, I have hit a wall. My cousin in Australia was born in Twyford Lodge, Willesden Green in 1941 and adopted soon after. There is no father mentioned on the birth certificate but we have found out that a fathers name was originally on some paperwork but was redacted. How can I trace this name. It is important for my cousin to know, as her birth mother has passed on.

Thank You

Anthony

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family in Willesden
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 April 21 20:25 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Anthony  :D

I will say straight away that I don't know a great deal about adoption records.  However below are a couple of website links that may help you to get started.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/images/CG6_2.pdf

http://www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk/search/righttosearch/accessrecords.htm

1941 was of course during the Second World War so there is a possibility that the father was a service man or alternatively just someone that the mother met.

Hopefully another Rootschatter with more experience in this field will be able to assist further.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 April 21 20:40 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Has your cousin applied to see her adoption records?  Is this where the redacted entry came from? 

If yes - several possibilities as to why it was redacted - the likeliest being he was named but then found not to be the father.

Has your cousin considered DNA?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline anthony H-B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 April 21 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol.

Yes we've had DNA tests and researched the family tree but found no links. As far as we know the father was named originally on the birth certificate but then his name was removed, we wonder if a new certificate was issued. apparently the birth father also assisted with the adoption, it seems that this was prearranged before my cousins birth, and the father knew the adoptive parents, who were,then in their early 50's. (1941). The only place I feel we can look is in hospital birth records for that year and that area.

Regards

anthony.