Author Topic: Downey inquest lookup  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Downey inquest lookup
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 May 21 20:57 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to find Pantweddus on the map but as yet no such luck.*   The story of the death of the gamekeeper rings a bell for some reason.  Just wish I could remember where I read it originally. 

I've been looking through the newspapers on the National Library of Wales site, but I suppose you've been through those too.  There are plenty of reports of game-keepers being shot (accidentally or otherwise) but so far no report of your man has come to light.

Regards
GS

*PS: Ah yes, finally found it! *

For others - it's here

https://historicplacenames.rcahmw.gov.uk/placenames/recordedname/629b0eba-25bb-404a-a938-234c7110736a

Offline Ghosthunter50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 May 21 22:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, I've trawled online through the national Newspaper archives of Wales & been to Brecon library ( found other snippets about other Downey forefathers) but not this inquest info.
Thank you for the map.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 May 21 23:14 BST (UK) »
It does seem strange that we can't find details of the inquest because I'm sure it would have been a major story at the time.  I've tried looking for convictions too in the event that it was found to be murder but can't find anything in that respect either.  But as I said previously, somewhere in the back of my mind, some years ago, I am sure I came across a conviction of someone for a similar crime in this area, involving an attempted burglary and subsequent manslaughter.  Just wish I could remember, or if google could be kind to us.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk