Author Topic: Valuation rolls  (Read 490 times)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Valuation rolls
« on: Thursday 29 April 21 21:01 BST (UK) »
On the 1939 register, my great grandmother, Christina Mackenzie, is living at 17 Steven Street, Glasgow.
On her death certificate in 1944, her address is given as 17 Steven Street, Glasgow. Her death was registered by a Mrs Margaret Mackenzie, also living at 17 Steven Street, who states that she is an acquaintance.
On the 1940 valuation roll for 17 Steven Street, there is no mention of a tenant named either Christina or Margaret, but there is a Murdo Mackenzie.
How could I find out any more about this Murdo Mackenzie and who he is related to?
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Valuation rolls
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 April 21 21:47 BST (UK) »
If two or ten people are share a flat only one is registered on the Valuations.  Valuations are about the property not the people.

Who was Margaret's husband?

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 April 21 22:05 BST (UK) »
If two or ten people are share a flat only one is registered on the Valuations.  Valuations are about the property not the people.

Who was Margaret's husband?

Don

Unfortunately, I have no idea who Margaret Mackenzie was, never mind who her husband was.
So many mysteries - so many questions  ???
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 April 21 22:46 BST (UK) »
17 Steven Street is/was obviously a tenement block because there are 8 tenants listed in the 1940 VR. If Mrs Margaret Mackenzie was an 'acquaintance' it's probably pure coincidence that she shared Christina's surname.

You could try looking up marriages of Murdo Mackenzies to Margarets in the marriage indexes, then see if you can find a death of one of them at the same address.

The obvious way to do this would be to look in the 1940 register of electors, and then each preceding and succeeding one to see if there are any new young voters appearing in the same household. Use that name and subtract 21 years, then look for a corresponding birth. That's going to be difficult to do online, however, because the births may be after the cut-off date of 100 years ago.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 April 21 02:14 BST (UK) »
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.