Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 29th April.  (Read 660 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 29th April.
« on: Friday 30 April 21 07:27 BST (UK) »
I received a message from the library saying a couple of books on my wish list were available, so H and I walked into town to collect them, and returned through the side streets, as we have become used to avoiding the main roads.
This is my favourite time of year, and I was struck by the beauty of the season.  While loitering at a level crossing waiting for the steam train to pass and the gates to lift, we noticed a large patch of Viktoria's favourite lily-of-the-valley almost ready to flower, behind a garden wall, and the lilac is budding too, while the small wild clematis are already in profusion.
Then the horse chestnuts are flowering here, and the wisteria is almost out, but we still have bluebells, primroses and wild garlic flowering too.
All that nature in the built up area of town. So lovely! :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 29th April.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 April 21 08:58 BST (UK) »
What a treat to see all those beautiful flowers on your walk to the library, it's particularly nice to see wild flowers that don't seem to be so much in evidence now. And the two books you were waiting for at the end of it, definitely a good day.  :)

My day:

Should have got myself out for a walk earlier while it was sunny, instead I was just about to put my coat on when it came over all grey then chucked it down. Did some tidying up around the house instead and some more tweaks to my portrait. Got my paints ready for class tomorrow. Went out after lunch instead when it had cleared out, it was lovely in the sunshine but a bit chilly otherwise.

Later on I went out in the garden, could see NN tap tapping something into the top of the adjoining fence with a small hammer. Could hear her fiddling about with something, sounded like cable ties. She was there for ages while I was in and out. Some time later I went upstairs and saw her with a couple of fence panels, looks like she's putting them across the gaps, heaven knows how she's fixing them.

Sent a photo of my charcoal portrait to my art teacher, also to my friend L, she was very impressed, she phoned a bit later to discuss it, she hadn't yet got to that stage but did so later.
M&S plaice for tea, watched the rest of the Sewing Bee. The so called transformation challenge is a farce, they all looked ridiculous to me. Some of them made a good job of the jackets although I think some of them might only appeal to a niche group.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 April 21 15:35 BST (UK) »
MH - how lovely to see all those plants starting to come out.... far too early up my way yet for our lilac or lily of the valley to even think about coming out yet... sadly one of the hydrangeas looks like it’s had some frost damage to the tips as they’re looking very sorry for themselves.. I’m sure it puts a spring in your step to see though...

Roobarb- I wonder what NN thinks she’s up to! I’m impressed you persevere with your daily walk despite the weather!
I’m sure your portrait is going to look wonderful when it’s finished and I’m sure your friend will be delighted with the end result too..
Not watched sewing Bee yet... sounds eminently worth missing! Why don’t they choose people who have some knowledge of sewing.....

My day

OH was up bright and early and off to golf... I had a quick breakfast, shower then out to do my weekly Lidl’s shop... I put a coat on instead of just a gilet over a jumper and was glad I had... when the sun went in it was very cold with a chilly wind too... when are we going to have some warmth... it’s nearly May and I’m sure this time last year we were in shorts and T shirts all the time...
Lidl’s was quiet thankfully...I popped in to Waitrose for a few bits not able to get elsewhere and used the quick check app so I could be in there for as short as time as possible.
Bought some yeast from the bakers as we’ve been eating shop bread for a few weeks as the master baker has been busy lopping down tree branches and apparently can only do one thing at a time 😂😂
Popped up to C with her shopping on my return... pleased for her that after 6 weeks she no longer needs the leg brace and can wear proper jeans! Still on crutches though...
had a chat with my other friend J who is now out of the sling and doing exercises to get her shoulder joint moving again....
Read for a while in the conservatory and then decided to prepare dinner as I was making a Thai Green Curry with a Thai salad... takes a while to make the green paste and the dressing for the salad... got a fit of the sneezes and everytime I blew my nose my eyes ran and I sneezed more... then I realised I’d been de seeding the green and red chillis and the residue was on my fingers! Daft idiot....
OH returned having had a good game and now getting to grips with his new golf clubs ...
Had a message from H she’d had the flowers and was delighted with them... it turned out she’d been into the flower shop to ask the chap if he could do her some flowers to cheer herself up and he’d been putting together the one we’d ordered! She said it looked lovely and could he do one for her like it... he said he’d got an order to do for her anyway and so she had the one she’d seen earlier.....made her laugh which is good... her hubbie M has now had two lots of chemo and the men ( we are three couple who have been friends for 40+ years) were having some banter over WhatsApp with him... hope it continues...
Had late dinner and then watched tv as usual....

Hope everyone is doing well too and enjoying a bit more freedom...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 April 21 18:41 BST (UK) »
Caroline, according to the Met Office this has been the frostiest April for sixty years although we've had more sunshine than average too. Looking on the bright side  (literally!) it's better than the grey wet days we might expect in April. The vagaries of the British weather!

Not sure about my portrait looking lovely but thanks for the vote of confidence.  :D
What a coincidence with the flowers, good to know they're exactly what she wanted. Hope your other two friends are soon back to full strength.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 April 21 19:18 BST (UK) »
Here too, lots of frost damage and as said, April has had an inordinate number of frosty nights.
Touch wood The Captain Sir Tom Rose is O.K.
Son had his  heart stress test today at Blackburn ,no results as yet.

Just waiting for the Tesco delivery ,no bags ,well tray liners ,this time so strong carrier bags ready and.waiting.

Still no definite reason for no puppy ,daughter will phone as soon as she has more news.

Bank Holiday on Monday ,but won’t be going anywhere .
FH is five on May 11 th , I can’t believe it ,he is tiny but quicksilver in videos that come to me.
Got him a card some time ago, with a piglet wearing four red wellies, he will see the funny side of that.
I must post it then it can be quarantined.

Oooh wild Lillies of the Valley.Lilac, there was a tree at the bottom of a very steep path that led to the cottage where I lived with the parents of my friend
who is now very frail but has made a good recovery from earlier.
You ended running down the path.
The scent of the lilac was gorgeous.A strong memory.

The L of the V plant bought for me for Mothering Sunday is really struggling,did all it said in the instructions ,to little avail. ???

Ever the optimist, I have ordered another dress, just in case I ever have a holiday!
An olive green linen mix .very plain but easy to wear.
And I had a voucher to spend which has considerably reduced the price—-
just in case I ever get to wear it!

Last episode of the re run of “ Life on Mars “ tonight.
I never understood it but liked the humour and Philip Glenister.
Ronnie Scott’s Jazz club too.
Last episode of Churchill .

Hope you all have a nice weekend , take care.
Cheerio.Viktoria.