Author Topic: Looking for my Reynolds Family  (Read 999 times)

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for my Reynolds Family
« on: Friday 30 April 21 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi. Can anyone please help me locate my Reynolds family after 1870? According to a passenger list they were on the City of Washington Ship 17 July 1865, Patrick Reynolds, Ellen Reynolds Wife, Sarah Reynolds Daughter and Hugh Reynolds Son. In 1870 they are listed in District 14 Brooklyn, Patrick being a plasterer. That’s where my trail ends. I have discovered a family living in Connecticut, but have discounted them as they were there in 1870. Some background info, Patrick Reynolds, widower, married Ellen Pinder, nee Green, widow, in Manchester 1860. Their births are about 1825, born Ireland. In both 1870 census they are living with Ellen’s niece Maria Durkin and husband James.Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for my Reynolds Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 April 21 16:26 BST (UK) »
They were enumerated twice in 1870, both times in Manhattan, not Brooklyn.

This link puts them on Baxter St between Hester and Grand, in Ward 14, Election District 4
enumerated 17 Dec 1870
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M86L-6XW
Those streets are on the Lower East Side, according to Google.

This link doesn't give street names, but is also in Ward 14, but election district 10
enumerated 5 July 1870
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M8F7-2MW

both times they were with James and Maria (Green) Durkin.

for help in looking for them:
Sarah was born about 1854/5, Manchester, England (acc to 1861 Census)
Hugh was born about 1856/7, Manchester, England (acc to 1861 Census)

-------------
ancestry.com hints that Sarah Reynolds, 20, born in England, with parents Patrick and Ellen, married James Bogle, 21, a plasterer, born in England, on 13 Nov 1873 in Fall River, Massachusetts.
But then the rest of the hints for this person go to a Boyle couple, not Bogle.
I couldn't prove or disprove that this is "your" Sarah. I didn't find a Patrick Reynolds, plasterer, in Fall River city directories in that time frame. In fact, I didn't find a James Bogle born in England. The image clearly says Bogle, not Boyle.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 April 21 17:00 BST (UK) »
I didn't find a Patrick Reynolds, plasterer, in Fall River city directories in that time frame.

I should have added, there were 3 Patrick Reynolds in Fall River in 1873, 2 were laborers, one was a mason. Yours might have been one of the laborers, but how to prove it? In the 1880 directory it said that a Patrick Reynolds had moved to Danielson, Connecticut.

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 May 21 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you oldohiohome. May I ask, I might have missed it, where did you see Maria Durkin’s maiden name Green on the census forms? It would be correct, so definitely proves it is them.

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 May 21 09:31 BST (UK) »
Would the area be amongst the five ponds district? Just seen a mention of a Baxter Street.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 May 21 10:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you oldohiohome. May I ask, I might have missed it, where did you see Maria Durkin’s maiden name Green on the census forms? It would be correct, so definitely proves it is them.
Her maiden name wasn't on the censuses.I saw it somewhere else, but I forgot where. Maybe I should have been clearer, but I just wanted to include the information for other people who were looking for them.

Would the area be amongst the five ponds district? Just seen a mention of a Baxter Street.

Five Points, maybe, according to Google. I just googled the street names and looked on Google maps. Right now it looks like it is in or on the edge of Chinatown.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 May 21 13:05 BST (UK) »
There is an obituary in the Boston Globe 26 May 1915 for James Boyle who died 23 May 1915 at his residence 22 Allston Street. Husband of Sarah Reynolds Boyle. Internment at St Joseph's Cemetery.

James is a plasterer when they married and in 1900 census he is a mason, so the Patrick Reynolds who is a mason could be the correct one.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 May 21 13:28 BST (UK) »
... so the Patrick Reynolds who is a mason could be the correct one.
In that case, here are the entries for the men named Patrick Reynolds in Fall River. The 1873, 1876, and 1880 books were online at a subscription site. There might be more elsewhere.

1873 Fall River City Directory
laborer, 21 Green
laborer, rear 33 Davis
mason, 26 Columbia

overseer in a mill, no address
mason, 64 Columbia

second hand, 7 Wade
removed to Danielson, CT

-----------
note: "removed to" means the man moved out during the previous year. That might be your Patrick and might not be. Your Patrick, if he was the mason listed in 1873 and 1876, might have left Fall River in 1877-1879 or so. If so, that might be noted in the 1877-1879 directories, if you can find them.

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 May 21 21:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks amondg, the marriage of Sarah to James Boyle seems to fit. Still drawing a blank with Patrick and Ellen