Author Topic: Can I use a England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index reference to find a spouse?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Can I use a England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index reference to find a spouse?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 May 21 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, just wanted to say sorry I haven't been on here and said thank you for the latest help. I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around it all. I appreciate it all, thank you.

Edit: I'm a bit befuddled. Apologies if I'm talking rubbish here.

So it seems like this family had three Maria Ann's over the years. The Maria Ann who was born in 1836 and died in 1838. Another Maria Ann who was born in about 1839/40 and died in 1840.

Obviously then, neither of these can be 'my' Maria Ann - because I know she lived on into adult hood.

Yet 'my' Maria Ann consistently says across future census records that she was born in 1839 or at least gives an age that points to her being born in 1839.

And yet, there is clearly a Maria on the 1851 census with a James and Sarah, who seems to have been born in 1841. This families information seems to fit well with the James Turner I have on the marriage certificate for my Maria Ann, as the occupations could feasibly work.

So the only way that would fit, If I'm not talking rubbish, is if Maria Ann was mistaken about, or lied about her age, for some reason. Perhaps to appear slightly younger than her husband?

Or I've got entirely the wrong family and there was another James Turner who had a daughter called Maria Ann.

;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Personally I wouldn't view it as lying about here age. Remember back then lots of people didn't read and write. Dates were not as important to people then compared to us now days. I have lots in my tree that change dates, swoop names from first to middle name as this is what they are know by. You need to research each variant until each one can be discounted. This can be time consuming but also help get great results.
Good luck in your research.

Regards
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Can I ask whom did Maria Ann marry? What exactly does it say on the marriage certificate - does it give an address? Who were the witnesses?

( I was pushed for time when I submitted my earlier post and should have added that I was simply adding the information provided to the mix and suggesting that the James and Sarah family should not be immediately discounted . I totally agree with the points made by panda40).

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Can I ask whom did Maria Ann marry?

What exactly does it say on the marriage certificate - does it give an address?

Who were the witnesses?

Maria could have married Robert Grayton in 1860?

taken from your GRAYTON thread here's the link https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=848173.0 for anyone looking

Some years ago, I found a marriage record that I believed fit.

It was for the 26th August 1860, in Sunderland.

I have just received the certificate today and it says that Robert Grayton married a Maria Ann Turner. His father was Charles Grayton (deceased) and he has the occupation of Seaman. His deceased father was a joiner.

Is this Maria’s death entry?

Maria A Grayton age 80 (born c 1836)
Dec 1916 Sunderland Volume:   10a Page:   644

I don't have much more information.

All I know is that JOHN Turner was a pilot (I'm assuming in the navel sense) and that he had a daughter called Maria Ann in July 1839, Sunderland.

I found a baptism that fits for Maria Ann, in July 1839 and got Anne's forename from that

I assume John Turner was named as her father on the 1860 marriage cert. to Robert Grayton
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Hello everyone, thank you for the continued help!

The full information on the certificate is

1860, at the Parish Church in the Parish of Sunderland in the County of Durham.

No: This either says 51 or 57. Not sure.

26th August 1860.

Robert Grayton age 22, Bachelor, Seaman.

His address is hard to read so I might have to upload a picture of that to the other forum to get some help on that. It's number 2 something anyway.

Then it says Charles Grayton, deceased, Joiner.

Maria Ann Turner, age 20, Spinster. No profession noted.

Her address is also hard to read but I think it's 22 Burleigh Street. Father is James Turner, Pilot.

Witnesses are John Rafferty and Eleanor Francis.

Strangely it only says that Maria Ann Turner and Eleanor Francis did not sign themselves and left their mark. However, all the handwriting looks the same to me, as if Robert Grayton and John Rafferty didn't sign their own names either.

Marriage was by banns, curate was Robert Fisher.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Maria Ann Turner, age 20, Spinster. No profession noted.

Her address is also hard to read but I think it's 22 Burleigh Street.

Father is James Turner, Pilot.

Previously you mentioned her father was named John  ???

Is it possible this could be Maria on 1851 census as MARY A Turner father JOHN  :-\

Piece:   2397 Folio:   182 Page Number:   47
44 Burleigh St
JOHN Turner   35 pauper seaman
Ann Turner   33
MARY A Turner 9
John W Turner   7
William O Turner 4
All dittoed born Sunderland

Not found John W or William O Turner’s birth reg on GRO indexes to confirm mmn

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
I hadn't noticed that, Ladyhawk, sorry.

I think my dyslexia is playing me up here. Having looked at it again, it does look like it was James not John, but I wouldn't want to bet my house on it as the copy is a bit faint.

The record that you uncovered would make more sense wouldn't it, being as it's the same street.

Apologies for the wild goose chase!  :-[

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Having looked at it again, it does look like it was James not John, but I wouldn't want to bet my house on it as the copy is a bit faint.

As you are unsure is it possible that you can add a snippet of the m/c to show her fathers name.

Still looking to see if I can find John, Ann, Mary A, John W & William O Turner on the 1861 census to either rule them in or out

EDIT to add snippet of 1851 census confirming his name is definitely JOHN

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thanks for providing the information I requested. I had hoped for a Silver Street address!

Burleigh Street is where Robert and Maria Grayton (surname transcribed as Grayson in the index I used) are recorded in the 1861 census at number 14.

For information going through the censuses Maria Ann is actually recorded as older than previously suggested.
1861 22
1871 33
1881 44
1891 54
1901 64
1911 74

The probable death record for her in 1916 gives her age as 80. Accordingly the most common birth years  inferred from all these records would be 1836 - 1837.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)