Author Topic: Adoption of William Ryan (b.1893 Bradford, England)  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adoption of William Ryan (b.1893 Bradford, England)
« on: Friday 30 April 21 16:52 BST (UK) »
William Ryan was my granddad who appears in the 1901 census, adopted by Charles Gummerson in Hemsworth. He was originally adopted by a Manship family who I believe could have been William (c.1854-1900) and Annis (ne Askham) Manship who lived in the same area. I'm told that adoptions were not officially recorded but wondered if there was any way I could find out any details of it ?
RYAN-Atkinson-Mallison-elsworth-Widdowson-Davis-Threapleton-Bolderson-Sagar.. IRELAND-Bradford-Bingley-Fewston-Barnsley-Ecclesfield-Doncaster-Wakefield-Kendal

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption of William Ryan (b.1893 Bradford, England)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 April 21 16:59 BST (UK) »
Where did you get the information about an 'adoption' by another family prior to the Gummersons
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 April 21 19:21 BST (UK) »
It was my late uncle that told me, who was evidently informed by my granddad. There was no mention of the Gummersons' but I found them myself on the 1901 & 1911 which didn't ring a bell with my uncle. I tried to link the families through marriage using all combinations of the surnames including the wives maiden names (Askam and Heath) but no luck again
RYAN-Atkinson-Mallison-elsworth-Widdowson-Davis-Threapleton-Bolderson-Sagar.. IRELAND-Bradford-Bingley-Fewston-Barnsley-Ecclesfield-Doncaster-Wakefield-Kendal

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 April 21 20:14 BST (UK) »
Formal adoption did not occur until 1927, after the Adoption act of 1926. Prior to that arrangements were usually informal, often between family member. Very occasionally  in wealthy families a legal arrangement may take place, but there is little chance of there being a paper trail.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 May 21 08:16 BST (UK) »
Alan, I trust you know Williams parentage and their respective deaths and history

John

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 May 21 10:24 BST (UK) »
Williams birth parents were Patrick Ryan b.1847 and Mary Davis b.1869 m.26/12/1891. They parted c.1895. Patrick disappeared and Mary went back to her home town and re-married as a spinster.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 May 21 11:04 BST (UK) »
Alan, Patrick I believe died 1896. He asper his marriage to Mary was a widower with quiet a few children from his first marriage

John

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 May 21 12:30 BST (UK) »
Alan, Patrick I believe died 1896. He asper his marriage to Mary was a widower with quiet a few children from his first marriage

Thank you John, I don't have anything on Patrick apart from 1891 to c.1994, I've been searching for decades and followed many leads to no avail. If you have something that I haven't found and could look into, I would be very grateful. Alan

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 May 21 15:23 BST (UK) »
Alan, just working backwards from Patrick's marriage to Mary. Two things. He gives his address as 28 King Charles Street, Bradford and his father as William Ryan occ Tailor.

The ages at census are all over the place

1891 census rg12 3625 163 25. No. 20 King Charles St Bradford, Patrick Ryan aged 49 Tailor and 2 daughters Maggie (Margaret) aged 15 and Alice aged 14.

1881 Rg11 3998 103 9
Patrick 55 Tailor
Ann 53
John 14
Margaret 11
Alice 9

1871 Rg10 4047 160 38
Patrick 34  Tailor
Ann 30
Mary 13
John 4
Charlotte 2 months  Charlotte died sq 1871 aged 0. Cannot find a birth registration for her
Sarah Ryan-mother in law 68

1861 Rg9 2956 79 37

Patrick 28 Tailor
Ann 27
William 2
Mary A 3
Thomas 3 months

On this census below them is a William Ryan with his wife and a daughter all born Ireland who is a tailor--could well be Patrick's father.

Looking to see if I can find a common mother's maiden name for children is my next job.

John