Author Topic: William Ludlow Hudson 1777-1865  (Read 1393 times)

Offline JEB54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Ludlow Hudson 1777-1865
« on: Friday 30 April 21 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to find information on a William Ludlow Hudson b. 1777 in Yorkshire, England.  When he married Catherine Glennie 8 Oct 1835 in Amherst, Cumberland County, Nova Scotia, William was described as a 57 yr old widower.  I am unsure of his exact date or place of birth but his record of death in 1865 indicates that he was born in 1777 in Yorkshire, England.  I have tried looking for his first marriage record in England but not sure if that is where his first marriage took place.  Children born in NS were John William, Mary Elizabeth, Isabella, possibly William, Charles Edward Richard Ray, George, Llewellyn, Catherine Tabitha, Donald Glennie Daniel, Annie Eliza and Sarah Jane (my line).

I often see the last name spelled as Hodgson - is this an alternative spelling for Hudson?

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Ludlow Hudson 1777-1865
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 April 21 19:59 BST (UK) »
With such scant information and a very common name (William Hudson) I don't know whether it will be possible to ascertain who his parents were with confidence.

From what I have seen throughout my family history research, a surname given to a child as a middle name (Ludlow) is often the mother's maiden name or possibly a name which has been passed down through the generations. I tried to look for a marriage between a Hudson and a Ludlow in Yorkshire but I couldn't find one, unfortunately.

Also worth noting that the oldest son is usually named after the father or the father's father. However, in this case we cannot be certain that his father was called John as he was very likely married before Catherine and may have had other children who remained in the UK.

Sadly, you may have hit a brick wall. Is anyone else in your family interested in family history? Perhaps they could give you some more information? Even just an idea of the area of Yorkshire he came from.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline JEB54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 May 21 08:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you!!  I have been in contact with other family members but no additional information seems to be there.  I have done a few DNA tests but have only matched so far with my Nova Scotia cousins.

There was a migration of tenant farmers from Yorkshire to Cumberland County, Nova Scotia & area from 1773-1776.  From what I have been able to discern is that some possibly were from North Yorkshire -- eg., Rillington, Hawnby, Grange, Thorpebassett, Kirkheaton areas.  I know that William Ludlow Hudson was born after this migration but wonder whether friends or relatives of his family emigrated during this time.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 May 21 08:59 BST (UK) »
This is his second marriage details on family search, I would not expect Hodgson to be an alternative name for Hudson'

William L. Hodgson
Spouse's Name:   Catherine Gleny
Marriage Date:   8 Oct 1836
Marriage Place:   River Philip, Cumberland, Nova Scotia, Canada

Either way plenty of Williams for both names bu none with a middle name of Ludlow or initial L

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 May 21 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to find information on a William Ludlow Hudson b. 1777 in Yorkshire, England.  When he married Catherine Glennie 8 Oct 1835 in Amherst, Cumberland County, Nova Scotia, William was described as a 57 yr old widower. 

Have you looked for the death / burial of his first wife in case there is mention of her origins
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JEB54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 May 21 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  So far, nothing is known about William’s first wife or whether there were any children.  There are “Hodgson” families originally from Yorkshire who were living in Cumberland County at the same time as William L.  I don’t know whether this is why the surname Hudson is sometimes written as Hodgson.