Author Topic: Isabella Gilpin dob abt 1858 Armagh  (Read 1264 times)

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Gilpin dob abt 1858 Armagh
« on: Friday 30 April 21 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've posted this before and got some amazing information from the group.  I've hit another wall so thought I'd try again.  I strongly believe that my great grandmother, Isabella Gilpin, born around 1858 in Armagh (possibly Portadown) is the daughter of William Verner Gilpin.  I just cannot prove it since birth records are not available that early online.  I believe she is because on her death certificate (March 1915 in Connecticut, USA) her father is listed as Wm V. Gilpin.  Her obituary mentions a brother David and James, both the names of two of William Verner's sons.  I just want to have something more definitive if possible, otherwise I feel like I'm speculating.  I've tried twice to obtain her marriage certificate in the hopes it would list her father's name.  Using the NY Health Department index on Ancestry, I believe she was married in Queens to Thomas Wilson in 1891.  Both requests have turned up no records.  NY Health sent me to NYC and NYC sent me back to the NY Health Department!  I was hoping a marriage cert would have been my proof. 

So back to square one on trying to prove out that she is in fact a daughter of Wm Verner.  If anyone has her in your tree or access to any church records, I assume Methodist.  I'd appreciate your assistance.  Thank you,

Laura

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Gilpin dob abt 1858 Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 April 21 20:43 BST (UK) »
I strongly believe that my great grandmother, Isabella Gilpin, born around 1858 in Armagh (possibly Portadown) is the daughter of William Verner Gilpin.  I just cannot prove it since birth records are not available that early online.
Civil registration of births didn't start until 1864 so there will be no birth certificate anywhere for Isabella.

For reference, here are links to earlier threads-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=834894.9
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=776901.msg6306447#msg6306447
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=723407.msg5675195#msg5675195
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 May 21 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for the response.  I was aware of the range for the civil records, that is why I am struggling at this point.  I was specifically asking if anyone had her in their tree or had access to any church records since the civil records are a dead end for me with this ancestor.  Thank you for the prior links (they are all responses to my earlier questions over the years that have lead to this point!)
Laura

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 May 21 13:15 BST (UK) »
.  I just want to have something more definitive if possible, otherwise I feel like I'm speculating     

William Verner Gilpin appears on several Ancestry trees. If any of his descendants have undertaken DNA testing, and any of Isabella's descendants have also undertaken DNA testing, it may be possible to be more certain that the two were linked.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 May 21 13:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you, great point!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 May 21 15:21 BST (UK) »
I've tried twice to obtain her marriage certificate in the hopes it would list her father's name.  Using the NY Health Department index on Ancestry, I believe she was married in Queens to Thomas Wilson in 1891.  Both requests have turned up no records.  NY Health sent me to NYC and NYC sent me back to the NY Health Department!  I was hoping a marriage cert would have been my proof.

Can't see marriage under Wilson or Gilpin using Italian Genealogy databases-
https://www.italiangen.org/databases/

Marriage of Amanda Frances Wilson gives parents as Thomas Wilson & Isabella Gilpin-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K8NS-ZRL
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 May 21 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you!  Yes, Isabella married Thomas Wilson in the US, I believe around 1891.  From the marriage date on, I have the family history built.  It's the ancestry of Isabella (and Thomas for that matter) in Ireland is where I'm stuck.  There is an index entry in Ancestry which lists a marriage between Thomas Wilson and Isabella Gilpin on October 6, 1891 in NYC.  I wrote to the NY Health Department as it is listed as the source on Ancestry, they sent me to NY City municipal records, who in turn told me that they can't find the record - try the NY Health Department...going in circles!  Per the Ancestry listing the marriage was in Astoria Queens...it appears that NYC and the Italian database do not have records from Queens back to 1891, apparently.

I know that my best course of action is to probably re-activate my Ancestry account because I know from my Ancestry tree hints that there are other trees out there with this family.  Unfortunately, I cannot do that at the present time but hopefully in the future.

Thanks everyone.
Laura

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 May 21 21:08 BST (UK) »
have you searched http://www.castlegarden.org/searcher.php before 1892
 I think this is her via https://www.statueofliberty.org/discover/passenger-ship-search/
NAME OF PASSENGER
Gilpin, Isabella
PLACE OF BIRTH
Ireland
YEAR OF ARRIVAL
AGE AT ARRIVAL
23 so b~1859 more details, if you join
name of ship Anchoria was a steamship regular voyages Londonderry to NY direct see http://www.dippam.ac.uk/ied dissappointly the notes close off in 1879.

do any of the existing trees note the landlord
the local landlord was
Verner   Baronet William   Mullenakill, West   Killyman   Armagh
Verner   Baronet William   Derrycorry, South.   Killyman   Armagh
Verner   Baronet William   Derrycorry, South   Killyman   Armagh
Verner   Baronet William   Derrycorry, North   Killyman   Armagh
Verner   Baronet William   Clontyclay   Killyman   Armagh
Verner   Baronet William   Derryhirk   Killyman   Armagh
Verner   Baronet William   Derryhubbert, East   Killyman   Armagh
Verner   Baronet William   Mullenakill, South   Killyman   Armagh
Verner   Baronet William   Mullenakill, North   Killyman   Armagh
Verner   Baronet William   Derryhubbert, South   Killyman   Armagh
Verner   Baronet William   Derryhubbert, North   Killyman   Armagh
Verner   Baronet William   Copney   Clonfeacle   Armagh
 has anyone checked surviving  Methodist records for her
good luck onwards
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 May 21 13:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you!  I'll check this out.  I haven't been able to find anyone yet that can check the Methodist records for her.  She was clearly born prior to the civil registrations, thus my struggle with verifying her as William Verner's daughter. 

Thank you again for your help.
Laura