Author Topic: Marriage of Colonel Harry Bishop  (Read 1262 times)

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of Colonel Harry Bishop
« on: Friday 30 April 21 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hello. Wonder if anyone can help with this... it's a bit of a shot in the dark??

I'm trying to source the marriage of a Colonel Henry (Harry) Bishopp, “of Storrington, co. Sussex”, Captain (1771-72), Major (1773-75), Colonel in the Cheshire Fencibles, who was born 30 March (bap. St. George Hanover Square, London 23 April) 1746, died Storrington, co. Sussex, and bur. Parham, co. Sussex 5 October 1821. He was the youngest son of Sir Cecil Bishop, Baronet of Parham Park, Sussex.

All I know about his wife is that she was called Mary (surname unknown) and she was born about 1749-50, and died Storrington, co. Sussex February 1827 (bur. Parham, co. Sussex 6 Feb. 1726-27). I can find no details of a marriage in England.

I know they had at least 13 children and I have the baptisms of 11 of them between 1770 and 1788 in England.
However they had 2 elder daughters Catherine and Harriet who must have been born circa between 1767 and 1770? Catherine married a Henry Chivers Vince and the 1841 census states she was born in Ireland. I wonder of her father Colonel Harry was in Ireland with the army, married there and Catherine and Harriet were also born there. I can find no evidence of the 2 daughters births/baptisms in England.

If anyone can help locate Harry and Mary's marriage and the baptisms of Catherine and Harriet I'd be very grateful. I'm surmising they must have married about 1665-67 as Harry was only 19 in 1665??

Many thanks, Craig
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Colonel Harry Bishop
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 May 21 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hi dathai,
Thanks for your reply and sorry for my delay in responding.
Thanks for that link... very co-incidental and it almost raises more questions than answers. I'm investigating where the 7th Dragoons were posted during the late/early 1760-70s. Also forming a chronology of his career in the army to try and pinpoint where he was stationed.

Colonel Harry's 1st child recorded in England was Frances Bishopp, bap. Storrington, co. Sussex 19 February 1771 and Catherine and Harriet were definitely older so born c. 1767-1770.

Is there any chance do you think that the 1775 marriage was recorded late and the date misconstrued?

Craig
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 May 21 07:26 BST (UK) »
" ...illegitimate children of Major Harry Bishopp and Mary Vicker..."

https://books.google.co.uk/books/content?id=l9lAAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA7-PA27&img=1&pgis=1&dq=vicker&bul=1&sig=ACfU3U3O7c2RE_xNtTMKiIsyjz8yuVovrg&edge=0

From a 1980 edition of West Sussex History
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 May 21 07:40 BST (UK) »
I'm investigating where the 7th Dragoons were posted

Not the 7th.

He was in the 17th Dragoons in 1774: https://archive.org/details/listofgeneralfie00grea_5/page/44/mode/2up?q=bishopp

and in 1776:
https://archive.org/details/listofgeneralfie00grea_2/page/44/mode/2up

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 May 21 09:53 BST (UK) »
Just adding to my earlier post about the illegitimate children:

"attempted cover-ups could take place, as at Storrington, where a memorandum by the Reverend Edmund Cartwright in 1805 points out that he has found ' several erasures and interpolations where the illegitimate children of Major Harry Bishopp and Mary Vicker are entered ..and that from the best information that I could obtain, they were done when the register was lent to Lady Warren. She was the Major's sister.."

https://books.google.co.uk/books/content?id=l9lAAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA7-PA27&img=1&pgis=1&dq=vicker&bul=1&sig=ACfU3U3O7c2RE_xNtTMKiIsyjz8yuVovrg&edge=0

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 May 21 10:51 BST (UK) »
This implies that the illegitimate children were with the same woman he married, I think.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 May 21 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ and Heywood.... many, many thanks for the last few posts. Great. That explains why the marriage came after at least 5 children.
I noticed there were a few 'higher status' marriages on that page from the records, and St Audoens church was one of the older, established Anglican churches in Dublin.
I'll look and see if the baptismal records are available on line. Shot in the dark but the 2 elder children baptisms might be there somewhere.

Catherine seems to have been born in Ireland c. 1767-71 and Harriet was 22 in 1791 so prob. born about 1769.
After that there were 4 more before the marriage bap. at Storrington, Sussex... Frances 1771, Harry 1772, Mary 1773 and Edward 1775.
After the marriage there were Eleanor 1777, Elizabeth c. 1779 (don't have her baptism), Anne 1780, Charlotte 1781, Cecil 1783, Lucy 1787 and Edward Thomas 1788... so a very busy couple!!
Thanks again.