Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 1st May  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 1st May
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 May 21 14:46 BST (UK) »
Well Pharma, I had my hair styled last week,and it does looks so much better,my kind neighbour who isn’t now getting any cake said it took ten minutes off my age !
Cheeky monkey!
Is yours long or short?
Mine was to my shoulders but now short., nape of neck tapered in.
Keep well and look after yourself.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 May 21 15:13 BST (UK) »
Well Pharma, I had my hair styled last week,and it does looks so much better,my kind neighbour who isn’t now getting any cake said it took ten minutes off my age !
Cheeky monkey!
Is yours long or short?
Mine was to my shoulders but now short., nape of neck tapered in.
Keep well and look after yourself.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

My hair is long viktoria as even without covid i can't always get it cut often enough to be out of the way for work as it has to be either properly short or long enough to put up.  I have it tied back at work but we also have mask expanders on and visors and often everything gets all tangled up.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 May 21 15:15 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, I hoped that the nasturtium punnet I planted for my daughter last year would thrive, but all she ended up with was a few stunted leaves and the odd flower or two. Despite supposedly being "weedy" they didn't do well at all.  :(

The portulaca I planted to replace them failed too - they ended up being a few straggly colourless bits of foliage and a sad flower or two. I have no idea what is wrong with the soil.

I will probably apply some appropriate liquid fertiliser and hope some flowers are produced, though even foliage would be welcome. The soil is definitely lacking numerous elements essential for growth.  :)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 May 21 16:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear you're not getting about well Viktoria, hope you're soon active again. I admire you being civil to your horrid neighbour after the way he's behaved towards you, you're certainly a better person than he is.

What a knotty problem PharmaT, another reason to hope that you don't have to wear all of that PPE for much longer.

Oh dear Ruskie, sounds like the shed floor sweepings are not quite the thing. I've had a look online, it seems they don't like too high temperatures  :o or being waterlogged. Both possible problems where you live I guess. It looks like it's a case of cross your fingers and hope for the best!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 May 21 18:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roobarb, a bit better today.
Now Nastyturtiums ! The seeds I kept were in a glass jar in the utility room facing S,W.
Gets like an oven! So if the unplanted seeds can be affected by heat then there is small chance they will germinate.

Not much news again!

Antiques Roadshow soon .
Cheerio,Viktoria.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 May 21 22:42 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, the nasturtiums have been planted now as the weather is not so hot. I have seen them in other gardens still alive (though not doing too well, and possibly with some slight shade to keep them cooler) during the hot summer months, but yes, they seem to be more of a winter annual here.

This particular area is full sun and not waterlogged. The “soil” in the garden beds seems quite pale and powdery - I suspect it may contain something other than proper soil. I have a ph test kit somewhere which might be useful (if I can find it).  :)

Let us know if your seeds germinate Viktoria.  :)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 May 21 22:55 BST (UK) »
Don’t where today’s gone and so many posts to comment on!
Roobarb - wish I had your confidence with plants! Haven’t looked at my three sweet peas plants for a couple of days so I expect they’re now dead... leave seed growing to OH he’s much better at it than me!

MH - your description of the early morning sunrise was lovely to read.... we parked in the car park and walked up to Hay Tor... in the wind and then it rained... got drenched! Few years ago now but exhilarating non the less... not sure I could manage getting up at 4am though!

Jeff- your drive around the countryside sounded lovely... some of the names were familiar to me.... good to get out of the house...

Viktoria- sorry to hear you’ve been suffering hope you’re feeling better now... damp weather never good for ones joints!

PharmaT- long hair can be a bind... had some of mine cut now so just on my shoulders... much easier to manage...

Ruskie - another plants person... good luck with all the seedlings...

Not sure about fish finger sandwiches.... not that keen on fish fingers either...

As it’s now virtually 24 hours since yesterday I’m not really sure what I did...
Popped to the bakers,
 O.H played golf..
Vacuumed the house...
Spent some time on the internet trying to find somewhere in Devon or Dorset for a break mid June... totally unsuccessful... gave up!
Lots of pics from my daughter of their visit to Glastonbury Tor... looks the same as pics I’ve got only mine black and white from early 1960’s!
OH’s niece got married at 1pm... only them and 4 others such a pity .... pics were lovely though...
Thinks that’s probably it...
oh yes did lots of dead heading of daffs and various other things...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 May 21 23:33 BST (UK) »
Despite claiming to not have done much Caroline, you still fillled in your day constructively, despite the frustration about accomodation.

What was the problem? Lack of availability, or didn’t you like the look of any of the places you found online?  ;D

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 May 21 05:05 BST (UK) »
Despite claiming to not have done much Caroline, you still fillled in your day constructively, despite the frustration about accomodation.

What was the problem? Lack of availability, or didn’t you like the look of any of the places you found online?  ;D

Both really.... lack of availability and those that were either places we’ve stayed in before or not suitable.... as so many people staying in UK it’s difficult plus rolled over from last year...
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK