Author Topic: Ireland Civil Registration Marriages 1845 - 1958  (Read 253 times)

Offline grovecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ireland Civil Registration Marriages 1845 - 1958
« on: Sunday 02 May 21 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone know why the Irish civil records that are available online only go up to 1958 ?

The England records seem to go up to 2005.

Does anyone also know if there are any plans to make more recent civil Irish records available.
I have used Irishgen  website which is great for deaths up to 1970 but only has births up to 1920 and marriages to 1945. I am looking for a few births post 1920 and marriages post 1945 to see if I can find how I am linked to my DNA matches.
I have searched in vain for an answer on Google!

Any help is much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Gina

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland Civil Registration Marriages 1845 - 1958
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 May 21 10:41 BST (UK) »
Irish Civil Records now include: Birth register records 1864 to 1920; Marriage register records 1845 to 1945 & Death register records 1871 to 1970

I.E. Births over 100 years old, Deaths over 50 years old, and marriages over 75 years old.
Mandated by Irish Law ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline grovecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 May 21 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks  for your reply.

Wonder why the Irish law is like that but we can see records up to 2005 in England!

As if researching Irish ancestry wasn't hard enough!!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 May 21 11:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks  for your reply.

Wonder why the Irish law is like that but we can see records up to 2005 in England!

As if researching Irish ancestry wasn't hard enough!!

A different country  ;)

The Irish records are very generous, I think, in that you can freely see copies of the certificates rather than indexes which then necessitates purchasing the record. (Subject to the years quoted, of course).
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 May 21 13:26 BST (UK) »

Different country apply data protection laws differently..... however you can't see 'records' up to 2005 in England you can see 'indexes' and only then because these indexes are sold to FH international FH online companies.
Ireland doesn't sell the use of their indexes/records generally to multi national/international companies , as the ones that have been scanned/transcribed have been done so voluntarily by Irish researchers/ Irish family history societies for Irish use in much the same way as Freebmd/Freecen/Freereg has/is being transcribed in England/Wales voluntarily, so they are also 'not for sale' to multi nationals/internationals.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 May 21 14:24 BST (UK) »
Most countries impose similar time limits!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 May 21 18:34 BST (UK) »
If there are any records of interest, or potential interest, between the cut off points and 1958, you can order research copies from the Irish GRO. Cost 5 per copy. You need to quote the district, year, volume & page no.

Offline grovecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 May 21 08:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your replies.

You are right, I have been really lucky to be able to see for free many records on Irishgen without having to pay for them! I must not be too greedy!!
I have also ordered some direct from the records office in Roscommon but a few years back as it was 4 euros then!
I might go ahead and order ones of interest.

Many thanks everyone for your replies.

Gina

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 23:57 BST (UK) »
The IrishGenealogy.ie database is run by the state and updated on an annual basis.
For data-protection reasons, it publishes historical records according to the widely accepted 100-75-50-years rule.
    Birth records over 100 years old
    Marriage records over 75 years old
    Death records over 50 years old.
IrishGenealogy.ie contains records for all 32 counties up to and including 1921. From 1922 it holds records from the 26 counties of the Republic of Ireland only.

The indexes running to 1958 are old ones compiled from FamilySearch microfilms in 2008 during a transcription project. These are also now on Ancestry & Findmypast. If you find the birth there you can order using the form on https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/i-want-to-get-a-copy-of-a-certificate-what-do-i-do inputting District, Volume & Page.

The 100 / 75 / 50 year data cut off is also used by GRO Northern Ireland
and GRO Scotland "Digital images and certificates: The digital images, which are of the original register pages, are restricted as follows for internet research: 100 years for births / 75 years for marriages / 50 years for deaths. This is in accordance with the National Records of Scotland's policy of protecting the privacy of individuals. Please note our records are indexed on a yearly basis rather than exact dates and images of statutory records are added in January of the following year"

For background info on Ireland's civil records see https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/search-irish-civil-registration-indexes.html and the related links to the  right. [Lots of other good info under the geneology tab]

GRO Ireland - To apply for a certificate or copy by email, download the email application form (pdf). Fill in the form electronically and email it to [email protected]
When the General Register Office receives your email application, you will get an email back with a secure payment link allowing you to pay the fee due using a debit or credit card. If the certificate you want cannot be located, your card will be refunded the full fee.

20 for a full standard certificate (legal / passport application etc)
5 for an uncertified photocopy of an entry in the Register (contains same info for geneology purposes)

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/124a70-apply-for-certificates/
Ordering by Email: This is the application form for ordering a birth, death or marriage certificate by email - form updated 02/2021
https://assets.gov.ie/41368/54a468251ce84642b6d14043ca5a481c.pdf

The General Register Office maintains a family research facility in Dublin, where you can search the indexes to the registers and purchase photocopies of records - currently closed.
https://www.gov.ie/en/organisation-information/55ccbe-general-register-office-gro-research-facility/