Author Topic: Riddrie Cemetery  (Read 1283 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Riddrie Cemetery
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 09 May 21 19:03 BST (UK) »

I have the death certificate for Kenneth John, he died on 29 December 1933, and his death was registered by his brother-in-law, Kenneth Macdonald (Mary Ann's brother).

Mary Ann died on 13 December 1955.

I have searched through census records and cannot find any birth record for Murdoch Mackenzie / Macdonald. The last census in 1911 shows Mary Ann still single, and living at home with her parents - with no sign of a illegitimate son.

How do you know for certain that these are Murdoch's parents? The age at death for Kenneth John that you have in 1933, did it fit with the age when he married in 1924? If it did, he would have been too young likely to have been Murdoch's father? Have you found Murdo's death reg to be able to check again what shows for his parents?

Sorry for all the questions  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Riddrie Cemetery
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 09 May 21 21:07 BST (UK) »
could my Granny please send her the titles deeds for the lair in Riddrie Cemetery, so she can be buried beside "mammy and the two children".

Is Jessie "mammy"?
Death registration?

It appears that Jessie McKenzie died on 30 August 1921, aged 74 years, at 3 McAlpine Street, Glasgow.
She was the widow of Colin McKenzie, seaman.
Her parents were John McKenzie, crofter, deceased and Catherine McKenzie, nee McDonald, deceased.
Her death was registered by Mary Fraser, niece, 30 Couper Street - my Granny, who was married to James Fraser - who purchased the lair.
Was she "mammy" - looks like it, but I have to delve further into the names.

The help that both you and Monica have given me has been amazing.

Update - It seems that I have been looking at the wrong side of the family.
My Granny, before she married a Fraser, was a Mackenzie ( and in this family, all the Mackenzies going generations back, married Mackenzies - all from Lochbroom) - well, Jessie Mackenzie looks as if she was a sister to Granny Fraser's father, Duncan Mackenzie, as the parents were John Mackenzie and Catherine MacDonald. I still have to find out where the Maclean name fits in, but I'm on the case.
It's still such a shame that I can't find out where Duncan Mackenzie was buried - maybe because he died at Springfield Quay they just lobbed him off the edge  :-*
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.