Author Topic: Riddrie Cemetery  (Read 1275 times)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Riddrie Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 May 21 11:22 BST (UK) »
However, at the moment I am reading a letter that was sent to my granny in March 1947 (or it could read 1944 or 1949, the handwriting is difficult to decipher) from a lady called Lily, who gives her address as 44 Craigendmuir Street, Glasgow.

Lily McKenzie/MacKenzie is on the electoral registers at 44 Craigendmuir Street well after those dates. In 1954 a second Lily McKenzie is listed there. Did the younger Lily marry Wiliam MacLean in 1956?
Maybe it was Murdoch's wife Lily who wrote the letter (if it actually was from a McKenzie!) Who was her mother?

Not sure, so many Mckenzies - and still not sure who wrote the letter to my Granny. Obviously, it was a Lily, who lived at 44 Craigendmuir Street. Wish Granny was still here to ask !!!
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 May 21 21:10 BST (UK) »
The Electoral Roll for 1949 shows at 44 Craigdenmuir Street:

Lily McKenzie
Annie McKenzie
Murdoch McKenzie
Kenneth McKenzie

Annie or Kenneth? Have they come up elsewhere?

In 1948, Kenneth not showing at 44, but Lily, Annie and Murdoch do. In 1945, no McKenzie's listed at 44 nor elswhere on the street.

Jumping forward to 1956, we have the same four names: Annie, Lily, Kenneth and Murdoch. Have two entries for another Lily and Murdoch. Error with duplication of entry or two other people? It could be their children Lily 1931 and Murdoch 1934 old enough by 1956 to show on the electoral roll. Kenneth and Annie also their children?

Think I have followed your steps, John  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 May 21 22:02 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find a child Lily who I was sure came up in one your old posts...and just found her. Not named directly but I looked at the 1901 entry when you mentioned your grandparents were at the same address, 6 Brown Street, before their marriage in your old posts before:

In the 1901 census, I find my grandfather living as a boarder at 6 Brown Street, Glasgow. In the same house is my grandmother, Mary Mackenzie who is classed as the niece of the head of the house, her aunt Jessie Mackenzie.

So this is the entry from 1901:

Jessie Mckenzie 60
Mary Mckenzie 20 Niece
Lily Mclean 3 Boarder
John Wood 48 Boarder
James Fraser 25 Boarder

Address: 6 Brown St Glasgow/Blythswood

So, given that Lily McKenzie's marriage reg to Murdoch McKenzie gives her mum as Annie Jane McLean (father a seaman John McKenzie deceased when Lily married), I am wondering whether Lily Mclean's parents may not have been married and the Lily showing in the house at Brown Street in 1901 is the same that married Murdoch Mckenzie (parents seaman Kenneth McK and a Mary MacDonald) in 1924? Her age when she married, 27, fits well with her showing as 3yrs old in 1901.

There would be a link this way to your grandparents James and Mary Fraser.

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 May 21 22:13 BST (UK) »
Lily reported her mother Annie Jane McLean's death. Her mother died on 16 March 1847 at 44 Craigendmuir Street. The cause of death was as she wrote in her letter to your grandmother.

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 May 21 14:46 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find a child Lily who I was sure came up in one your old posts...and just found her. Not named directly but I looked at the 1901 entry when you mentioned your grandparents were at the same address, 6 Brown Street, before their marriage in your old posts before:

In the 1901 census, I find my grandfather living as a boarder at 6 Brown Street, Glasgow. In the same house is my grandmother, Mary Mackenzie who is classed as the niece of the head of the house, her aunt Jessie Mackenzie.

So this is the entry from 1901:

Jessie Mckenzie 60
Mary Mckenzie 20 Niece
Lily Mclean 3 Boarder
John Wood 48 Boarder
James Fraser 25 Boarder

Address: 6 Brown St Glasgow/Blythswood

So, given that Lily McKenzie's marriage reg to Murdoch McKenzie gives her mum as Annie Jane McLean (father a seaman John McKenzie deceased when Lily married), I am wondering whether Lily Mclean's parents may not have been married and the Lily showing in the house at Brown Street in 1901 is the same that married Murdoch Mckenzie (parents seaman Kenneth McK and a Mary MacDonald) in 1924? Her age when she married, 27, fits well with her showing as 3yrs old in 1901.

There would be a link this way to your grandparents James and Mary Fraser.

Monica

Help, I'm drowning  ??? ??? ???

I wonder if the Murdoch Mackenzie who married Lily in 1924, is also illegitimate, because his parents didn't marry until 1924 as well. Kenneth Mackenzie was 42 and Mary Macdonald was 44.

If you look carefully at the parents of Mary Macdonald, her mother's maiden name was McLean.

I have tried to look for a birth for a Murdoch Mackenzie / Macdonald, but haven't found anything yet.

They both lived all their lives in Ullapool. Kenneth was my grandmother's younger brother.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 May 21 15:44 BST (UK) »
Did Kenneth John die between 5 June - 11 November 1924? Murdoch's father is showing as deceased when he married.

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 May 21 15:51 BST (UK) »
Just looking at the ages for those two certificates in 1924. Kenneth aged 44 and Murdoch at 29, ages do not fit for father and son really  :-\

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 May 21 16:12 BST (UK) »
There are other possible marriages for a couple with the names of Murdo's parents from his marriage entry. Also census. For example, from 1901:

Kenneth Mackenzie 50 seaman b. Gairloch, rossshire
Mary Ann Mackenzie 42 b. Barvas, rossshire     
Bessie Mackenzie 14    
Kenneth M Mackenzie 12
Margaret Mackenzie 9
Murdo Mackenzie 7 b. Stornoway
Henry Mackenzie 4
Kenneth Macdonald 80 Father-in-law Formerly Carter b. Barvas, rossshire     

Address: 3 Mackenzie St, Stornoway, R & C

I am not saying this is the right entry, just there are other possible entries for him.

Monica

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 May 21 16:46 BST (UK) »
Did Kenneth John die between 5 June - 11 November 1924? Murdoch's father is showing as deceased when he married.

Monica

We all know how many lies are told on certificates  ;)

I have the death certificate for Kenneth John, he died on 29 December 1933, and his death was registered by his brother-in-law, Kenneth Macdonald (Mary Ann's brother).

Mary Ann died on 13 December 1955.

I have searched through census records and cannot find any birth record for Murdoch Mackenzie / Macdonald. The last census in 1911 shows Mary Ann still single, and living at home with her parents - with no sign of a illegitimate son.

This is driving me mad  :P