Author Topic: Lair certificates in Sandymount and Cadder Cemeteries.  (Read 871 times)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lair certificates in Sandymount and Cadder Cemeteries.
« on: Sunday 02 May 21 14:17 BST (UK) »
Looking through the papers and letters left to me by my Granny and my mother, I have discovered several lair certificates, but I don't know why.

On the 7th of September 1900, Catherine Fraser or Fraser, 20 Brown Street, Anderston, Glasgow, purchased Lair 3147, compartment N, certificate no. 7110.

My Granny and Grandad lived at number 6 Brown Street on the 1901 census. Their names were Mary Ann and James Fraser.
Grandad was born illegitimate, and his mother was called Catherine - so could this lair have been bought by her?

The second lair certificate I have is for Cadder Cemetery and is in the name of Mr. James Campbell, 67 East Nelson Street, Glasgow.
The lair number is 2443 and was purchased on 12 April 1906.

I haven't found any Campbells in my family tree, so why on earth would either Granny or my mother have had this lair certificate in their possession.

Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lair certificates in Sandymount and Cadder Cemeteries.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 May 21 18:10 BST (UK) »
The records for Sandymount are on FamilySearch.  That lair has 5 Frasers buried in it including maybe 2 infants.   https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-N3ZJ-N7CZ?i=470&cat=1306880

There is a Catherine Fraser buried 1918 aged 64.  Perhaps some of the names may hep you .

Andrew

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 May 21 10:45 BST (UK) »
The records for Sandymount are on FamilySearch.  That lair has 5 Frasers buried in it including maybe 2 infants.   https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-N3ZJ-N7CZ?i=470&cat=1306880

There is a Catherine Fraser buried 1918 aged 64.  Perhaps some of the names may hep you .

Andrew

You will just never know what you have found here. I can't thank you enough.

The infant, John Fraser, interred 1902, was my grandparents first born son.
The infant, Frances Fraser, interred 1907, was my grandparents fourth child. My mother was the next child born, and was named Frances. after her sister who died.

I shall now have to research who Charles, Duncan and Catherine are.
My hunch is that my grandparents had another child in 1912, and named him Duncan after my Granny's father, Duncan Mackenzie.

Thank you so, so much.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 May 21 11:02 BST (UK) »
I am so glad it has been of some help.  Sometimes just a small bit of information can open new doors and lines of research.   I did also look for cemetery records for Cadder on FamilySearch, but didn't find anything.   Good luck with your research.

Andrew

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 May 21 12:29 BST (UK) »
I am so glad it has been of some help.  Sometimes just a small bit of information can open new doors and lines of research.   I did also look for cemetery records for Cadder on FamilySearch, but didn't find anything.   Good luck with your research.

Andrew

Again, thank you so much.
I have just downloaded the birth certificate for the infant, Duncan James Fraser, and can confirm that he was born to my grandparents on 05 December 1912.
He was named after my grandmother's father, Duncan Mackenzie, and his middle name is after his father, my grandfather, James Fraser.
Obviously, I didn't know about his existence, as he was born after the 1911 census.
So much more research to do now - another busy Sunday  8)