Author Topic: Edward McGrath & Rose Ann McGurk  (Read 1061 times)

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward McGrath & Rose Ann McGurk
« on: Sunday 02 May 21 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to find a marriage (probably in Ireland) for Edward McGrath & Rose Ann McGurk. Both were born at the turn on the 1800s and had a daughter in the 1830s so i'm guessing its around 1820-1835ish.

Any help would be appreciated
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edward McGrath & Rose Ann McGurk
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 22:30 BST (UK) »
I have a method using the tithe Applotment Book records, which are sadly split for genealogical work. I have made an  alphabetical index of last name entries for the 6 counties based on the parish listing by parish made by the Irish Genealogy Hub website which sometimes throws up both names of a later marriage existing in the same parish the odds of finding the two names in the same townland are even more striking . but could be spelt McGra
McGrath, Ed.-Townland: Kernan Year: 1834-       Tullylish-Down
McGrath, Ed.-Townland: Miltown Year: 1834-      Clonallan-Down
McGrath, Edward-Townland: Ballynaris Year: 1834-   Dromore-Down
McGrath, Edwd.-- Townland: Drumkee Year: 1825-   Killyman-Tyrone
McGrath, Edwd.-T: Dromore Y: 1834-         Dromore-Tyrone
McGrath, Edwd.-Townland: Ballymagaghran Year: 1832-Belleek-Fermanagh
McGrath, Edwd.-Townland: Kernan Year: 1834-   Tullylish-Down
McGrath, Eliz.-Townland: Portaferry Gardens Year: 1827-Ballyphilip- Down
mcgurk 160 and mcguirk17 entries had no match of parish in 6 counties with 177 entries in total
I didn’t check for McGra spelling

so you could try the same method forthe 26 counties  covered by the National Archives Dublin
using
 eg
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=mcGuirk&firstname=&county=&parish=&townland=&search=Search
McGuirk entries 28
McGurk entries75
McGrath, 1429 entries

You would need to copy the entries for each ten entries per page for each name onto a spreadsheet and eventually sort by county sort by county, finally only checking any further by both names in a county, then refining that to by parish and hopefully by townland and it mat still not be the true answer I think it has worked for about 20 missing locations in Ireland but even the record isn’t complete in itself, if you have two scarce names its much easier. I cant spare the time to do it for you. it’s a last resort for you. nevertheless i leave it with you.

Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 22:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

You are correct about the spelling and the variants as searching for McGrath, McGra or even McGraw could take an age.
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 22:58 BST (UK) »
What is the daughter’s name?
Where was she born?
Where did the family live  - if indeed they did marry in Ireland?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 23:08 BST (UK) »
The daughters name was Sarah McGrath / McGraw. She married William Montgomery (I dont know where) but she died in 1972 in Dundee. She is listed on one of the census as being born in Ireland

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 23:44 BST (UK) »
Did she make news headlines dying in 1972, given you say she was born in 1830s (or did you mean she died 1872)?

???

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 23:46 BST (UK) »
haha  good spot

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 May 21 00:01 BST (UK) »
Further confusion....Sarah Montgomery nee McGrath mmn McGurk, is recorded in SP death index as 56 when she died in 1872.

MONTGOMERY
SARAH
MCGURK
282/3 582
St Clement

My calculator suggests 1872-56 = 1816 (so does my head, but I thought I would make certain).

Why do you think she was born c1830s? Does actual death record show a different age than 56?

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 May 21 00:15 BST (UK) »
Did she live at 2, James Street, Dundee, in 1871? If yes, birth year on census is even earlier at 1810 (with 1811 on the 1861 and 1851).