Author Topic: Wrong Photo being used on Family History website.  (Read 621 times)

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wrong Photo being used on Family History website.
« on: Sunday 02 May 21 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Years ago I sent a photo to someone who was researching a common ancestor. I was on a site today and noticed that it appears on a number of family trees and people have copied it thinking it is that ancestor.
I now know that it is someone else and he is Irish not English (as he's in uniform in the photo). I have no way of contacting people but it definitely isn't correct. I guess this sort of thing happens all the time but I do feel bad about the error.
What do I do if anything?
Whittaker (originally from Newchurch, Rossendale then Manchester) and Seel (Manchester).

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong Photo being used on Family History website.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 May 21 19:32 BST (UK) »
My grandmother appears in a school photo on the front cover of a book. The book says it’s 1910. She was not born until 1910. She moved to that school in 1917. Too many copies have been printed to change the information.

Regards

Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong Photo being used on Family History website.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 May 21 21:17 BST (UK) »
Someone used a picture of mine on Ancestry and made the picture public, despite being asked not to.  The photograph was then copied by many other people and allocated to someone who shared the same name but was not the same person.  I contacted Ancestry and asked them to remove it, which they appear to have done.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)