Author Topic: James Brown and family  (Read 2503 times)

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Brown and family
« Reply #27 on: Monday 03 May 21 12:54 BST (UK) »
now just to find the census!

1881 ( LDS)

has an Aberdeen born family group of Robert and Jemima Brown, plus children, at Nicolls Buildings Balgay Street, Dundee, including a son James. Robert is a Linen Hose Weaver.

Its now looking like this isn't his family  :'( back to the drawing board!
Morralley, Morrallee, Moralee, Felton, Paxton, Schonbeck

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 May 21 13:29 BST (UK) »
Have you considered going down the DNA route at all? Relying totally on occupations in certificates (and indeed names), could lead you down many empty  rabbit holes, as people were not always accurate with the information they provided on same, either through lack of knowledge of the facts, or intentionally.

It is fine when all instances of a person's occupation, for example, match from marriage, to census etc, as there is less doubt, but when details vary, even slightly, doubt increases.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 May 21 17:51 BST (UK) »
It's not actually my family, i am doing for someone :) it is something we have spoke about if we can't get any further.

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 03 May 21 17:57 BST (UK) »
So earlier in the post, i uploaded the marriage of Henry Brown (James's son) but I'm not actually sure if this is his son Henry or not? I was always wary as his name is listed as Henry Nelson Dawson Brown when Nelson isn't actually his legal name (I know this can sometimes happen but I don't even know where the name Nelson would come from) and not only that his father is listed as a Bricklayer when he was, in fact, a Marinier... I did however come across this Merchant Naval record for a Henry Brown who to me looks very much like a photo I do have of Henry.. what do you think?

(Henry is the one standing on the left)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 03 May 21 18:18 BST (UK) »
Photos are very similar. I would say the same man. What is the date of the merchant navy record?

On this issue of the use of the name Nelson which appeared on Henry's marriage cert that you have included, have you followed up on the suggestion on the other thread that this name might connect to Eliza Dawson's dad?

Interestingly, there is a death registration for a Henry Nelson Dawson, Q3 1909 South Shields, aged 59 .

He'd be the right sort of age to be your Henry's Granda? You'd have to track back and see if you can connect him to Eliza but it sounds like a fairly good straw to clutch at?

Boo

I think he shows as Harry sometimes but, of course, Harry and Henry are first name variants.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 03 May 21 18:21 BST (UK) »
Also,

There's a potential Eliza as a child with parents Harry and Margaret and several siblings in 1881.
Piece: 5016, Folio: 92, Page: 8
In 1891 he is Henry instead of Harry. 
Piece: 4159, Folio: 30, Page 11, Year of birth matches the death as Henry Nelson Dawson
Eliza not with family in 1891. Think she is a servant with Snowdon family
Piece: 4163, Folio: 28, Page 28

Looks like Margaret's maiden name is Smith
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 03 May 21 19:35 BST (UK) »
So the Merchant Naval record is from 1918. I then searched the 1939 register using his d.o.b and found a Henry Dawson living in South Shields but is listed as single...

As for Eliza's father he was also Henry Dawson, on the GRO death index he is listed as Henry Nelson but this is the only time he is called that?