Author Topic: help with reading a census entry  (Read 2250 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: help with reading a census entry
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 18:25 BST (UK) »
In the parish registers on SP, I can only see one entry for a child to them and this would be potentially for Ann:

Anne MacMillan, parents Dugald MacMillan and Mary MacPherson
03/07/1820
05/20 5
Ardnamurchan and Strontian or Sunart

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 18:34 BST (UK) »
Could this be Archibald McLaughlin in 1851 www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a151013f4040b9d6e1b2762/archibald-mclaughlin-1851-lanarkshire-gorbals-1811-?locale=en

He showed as married and same occupation as 1841. But is he still married to Mary or has she died? Can't easily see anything for her so far in 1851...

Monica

Offline Glanteg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 20:52 BST (UK) »
Monica that is amazing!! appreciate it needs corroboration but its a very likely line to follow up. Knowing that Hugh was actually 18 I was thinking that Mary was too young to be his mother but of course even at 17 years old she would have been old enough and indeed could have been almost 20. I looked for them in 1851 and didnt find them as a couple although I may have identified Archibald in the 1861.
Archibald Mclachlin married cotton dyer age 50 born Argyll Ardnarmurchan living in Glasgow as a lodger. It says married rather than widowed so perhaps a search for Mary is my next challenge. Guess if I could find her death any previous names might be listed. Your help is very much appreciated - I have been getting a bit down hearted about ever making any headway but now there are very definate lines to follow.

Offline Glanteg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica - I also saw the birth record for Ann - Ann Stewart nee Mcmillan consistantly records her birth as 1823 so perhaps it was a child that didnt survive? ( that is of course assuming Dougald and Mary McPherson are the right parents!!)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 06 May 21 19:23 BST (UK) »
...I was thinking that Mary was too young to be his mother...

Remember that in 1841 ages were supposed to be rounded down, so if Mary's age was correct in the first place, she could have been aged 35-39 in 1841. We also have that possible first marriage in Acharacle in 1819.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 06 May 21 19:26 BST (UK) »

Archibald Mclachlin married cotton dyer age 50 born Argyll Ardnarmurchan living in Glasgow as a lodger. It says married rather than widowed so perhaps a search for Mary is my next challenge. Guess if I could find her death any previous names might be listed. Your help is very much appreciated - I have been getting a bit down hearted about ever making any headway but now there are very definate lines to follow.

Given that we have a likely entry for him also lodging in Glasgow in 1851 www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a151013f4040b9d6e1b2762/archibald-mclaughlin-1851-lanarkshire-gorbals-1811-?locale=en  you get the feeling that the marriage may not not have worked out maybe.

Monica

Offline Glanteg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 07 May 21 13:40 BST (UK) »
agree but where is Mary McPherson/McMillan/McLauglin in 1851 and 1861 (unless he was actually a widow but didnt know?). On Ann Stewart's death certificate, her husband Alan was able to enter her father's name as Dugald but didnt know her mother's name. Bit surprising as we believe her father to have died back in the 1830's and yet her mother is believed to have still been around in the 1850/60s.  I had been hoping to find death records for John, Janet or Angus (siblings on the 1841 census) to try and corroborate our thoughts but they seem to have completely disappeared.