Author Topic: 23 and me to find maternal ancestors.  (Read 883 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
23 and me to find maternal ancestors.
« on: Sunday 02 May 21 23:34 BST (UK) »
I've been using 23andMe for a while now.

I've noticed that when I click on a users profile, assuming that they have made their profile public, I can see their Maternal Haplogroup and also mine.

It also tells me if the haplogroups are connected, and if they are not that we likely don't share common direct maternal ancestors.

What I'm wondering is, is there some way to filter my results so that I only see the users who I am connected with, who also share the same haplogroup. So lets say for example I was a H4, could I find all the other H4 that I am related to, without clicking on each profile?
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 23 and me to find maternal ancestors.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 May 21 13:02 BST (UK) »
I've been using 23andMe for a while now.

I've noticed that when I click on a users profile, assuming that they have made their profile public, I can see their Maternal Haplogroup and also mine.

It also tells me if the haplogroups are connected, and if they are not that we likely don't share common direct maternal ancestors.

What I'm wondering is, is there some way to filter my results so that I only see the users who I am connected with, who also share the same haplogroup. So lets say for example I was a H4, could I find all the other H4 that I am related to, without clicking on each profile?
Yes, by downloading all your matches as a spreadsheet file, it also enables to search for any ancestral surnames they list, which the normal search doesn't do (which I am not sure most people realize)

https://whoareyoumadeof.com/blog/how-to-download-23andme-dna-relatives/

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 May 21 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you melba_schmelba, I was able to do that and it worked. I appreciate your help.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 May 21 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you melba_schmelba, I was able to do that and it worked. I appreciate your help.
Glad it helped Stan. As I said, you can also use the Find function to look for surnames you may have in common, although only a small percentage of 23andme users actually put any on there.