Author Topic: Mary BELL/ Mary HAND  (Read 1359 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Mary BELL/ Mary HAND
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 03:05 BST (UK) »
Nope, George and Thomas are two of Joseph’s brothers.

Tas Police Gazette  July 25, 1902  page 126.  Second column

MISSING FRIENDS
Information is requested, at the instance of the Medical superintendent, Hospital for Insane, New Norfolk, as to the whereabouts of Thomas and George LYDINGTON, late of Oakwood, Tasman’s Peninsula, and brothers of Joseph LYDINGTON.  Inquiry with a view to collecting arrears for treatment and maintenance of Joseph LYDINGTON in the above institution.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 03:50 BST (UK) »
Well, one of my ancient rellies - (a retired NSW BDM senior officer) has phoned me, re this quest.   He has taken an 'eye-spy' at an online tree....  Yes, well, I share ....  Its owner is someone based in Arizona, USA ... they joined Ancestry in 2009.  They last signed in TODAY, and have been researching since 2001.  Huuuuuummmmmmmm  ::) deary deary me...

Joseph's mum ... Mary BELL - 1828 - 1926, daughter of John BELL and Jane TINKLER

I hope everyone reading this particular post is ALREADY seated, if not, sit down now.

Percy George LIDDINGTON, son of Thomas LIDDINGTON and Mary BELL was born  13 July 1867, Sorrell, Hobart, Tasmania.   

And he died 1913, Tasman, Tasmania.

Wait - all seated ?

So according to that US based tree owner, Percy George LIDDINGTON, who died in 1913, next resided in Tasman, Franklin, Tasmania.  He resided there in 1928 and in  1936, and in 1937 and in 1943 and in 1949 as well, and the tree owner links each image of the Electoral Rolls for that locality and year.

Clan has to wade through twaddle like that to get to the starting point to find Joseph's brothers ...

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 04:07 BST (UK) »
Yes its enough to make you want to bang your head on the table!
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 09:35 BST (UK) »
Looking through the Trove newspaper accounts of the trial:

Thomas Liddington senior and Mary Hand had lived together, unmarried, for 13 years, so since about 1865

Thomas junior was their eldest child, and her illegitimate son'

The couple had 5 children (some accounts say 3 children then 5 children in the same article, there were 3 in one room and 2 in another which may be the confusion)

Thomas junior was reported as 10 years old, but probably older to fit in with the other births as the oldest child (birth years of others as below)

1867 George
1871 Mary
1873 William
1875 Joseph

The most likely scenario, given these details, is that 'Mary Bell' was Mary Hand's alias; the couple were well know to locals and no other Mary is mentioned

Note that Thomas senior's convict indent shows that he was married a couple of years before being transported, and this may have been a factor in the couple not marrying. Also he was Protestant and she Catholic.

M

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 23:34 BST (UK) »
Looking through the Trove newspaper accounts of the trial:

Thomas Liddington senior and Mary Hand had lived together, unmarried, for 13 years, so since about 1865

Thomas junior was their eldest child, and her illegitimate son'

The couple had 5 children (some accounts say 3 children then 5 children in the same article, there were 3 in one room and 2 in another which may be the confusion)

Thomas junior was reported as 10 years old, but probably older to fit in with the other births as the oldest child (birth years of others as below)

1867 George
1871 Mary
1873 William
1875 Joseph

The most likely scenario, given these details, is that 'Mary Bell' was Mary Hand's alias; the couple were well know to locals and no other Mary is mentioned

Note that Thomas senior's convict indent shows that he was married a couple of years before being transported, and this may have been a factor in the couple not marrying. Also he was Protestant and she Catholic.

M

M makes good sense.  Perhaps they were not aware that the sentence of seven years or more transportation beyond the seas had effectively ended Thomas' earlier marriage. Both Thomas and his first wife were eligible to marry someone else.  Many regular RChatters and also me have posted on many threads re that.... English law from circa 1606...

Perhaps Mary chose to be known as Mary BElLL ... was it a family name on her mum's or dad's side, or perhaps one of her sisters married a BELL or perhaps the policeman who was the informant on the 1867 birth misheard or assumed or chose BELL as a diversion .... or perhaps Mary BELL and Mary HAND were two individuals....   

I have not searched for a death in 1926 for a Mary BELL.... (from that online tree  ::)  ::) )

JM

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 06 May 21 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi matthewj64,
Many thanks for your reply.
Mary Hand/Bell has led me a merry chase.
Kind regards
clancam37
https://stors.tas.gov.au/HSD285-1-1107

Mary HAND, admitted to asylum in 1878 from Hobart Gaol.  Died June 1905 at New Norfolk  Hospital.

Likely you already have the following re Thomas Liddington Senior and Mary Hand.
The Mercury 9 May 1878, Police Court https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/8962994

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/47786239  Launceston Examiner 16 May 1878
At the Supreme Court ... Mary Hand, charged with wounding with intent to murder ... was acquitted on the ground of insanity ... detained in gaol during her Majesty's pleasure.

JM

Mary Hand, aged 50, free to colony on the Moolton
https://stors.tas.gov.au/CON42-1-1$init=CON42-1-1P99

M