Author Topic: Myers baptism circa 1821  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Donald71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Myers baptism circa 1821
« on: Monday 03 May 21 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm trying to link my London Myers family back to Scotland with little success and was wondering if anyone had baptism records for a Mary Jane Myers born about 1821 in Scotland to Daniel and Jane Myers. Or any other Myers baptised to a Daniel and Jane around that period.

My actual direct ancestor is Isaac Myers, born 'at sea' but I think his parents were a Daniel and Jane Myers.

I've tried Findmypast and Ancestry but with not much luck.

Thanks

Donald

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Myers baptism circa 1821
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 May 21 08:06 BST (UK) »
Scotlands People has the church records and it is free to search althought pay to view - I can't see any children baptised with parents Daniel  or Jane sadly

Kay

Offline Donald71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 May 21 08:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kay. I didn't know about that site. Will have a look and try some variations on spellings.

bw

Donald

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 May 21 08:15 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 May 21 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Donald

See Mary Jane gave a Scottish birth place on her 1841 census entry after her marriage www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQV5-43B  Also www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NK1F-SHG

Have you found Daniel and wife Jane in the censuses to be able to check their birth places?

Is this Isaac and wife Elizabeth in 1851? www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGTN-FCZ  What have you found that makes you think his parents were Daniel and Jane?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 May 21 20:00 BST (UK) »
Came across this entry in Chelsea in 1841 for a Jane Myers www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQVM-PW7 And a possible death for Daniel? www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JC4Y-MY7

Made me think that it might be Jane who is the link to Scotland not Daniel Myers. Guess you may not have been able to determine her maiden name?

Monica

Offline Donald71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 May 21 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica

Daniel Myers dies in 1840 so doesn't make it to a census unfortunately. The Jane Myers dies in 1842 in the same workhouse. I've also got a newspaper article that mentions them both as witnesses. On Isaac's marriage cert it lists his father as Daniel Myers, soldier.

So I'm pretty certain that Daniel and Jane are Isaac's parents. And on the baptism of Mary Jane's daughter in London it lists her own parents as Daniel and Jane Myers. Non-conformist records list the mother's parents as well for some reason. So my reasoning is that Isaac and Mary Jane are siblings.

bw

Donald

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 May 21 21:17 BST (UK) »
I have just been reading details of the trial that Jane and Daniel Myers were witnesses at following the death of their neighbour:

....JANE MYERS . I am the wife of Daniel Myers - we lived on the first floor front room, under the prisoner and deceased. On Friday morning, the 7th of August, about three o'clock, I heard the rattle - I awoke, lifted up the window, and the deceased was laying on the ground under our window, which is straight underneath the prisoner's; I had heard no previous noise - she groaned very much; I saw Weeks, and shortly after that I heard the prisoner come down stairs...

Also, Daniel stated...

...COURT. Q. What did your wife and daughter say? A."Murder, murder! Ann is thrown out of window!" They were in my room then; they awoke me telling me so - they were clapping their hands and shouting out; my wife had opened the window, it seems, to look out...

Thought if the same couple, this would be their daughter Mary Jane.

www.oldbaileyonline.org/print.jsp?div=18290910

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 May 21 21:22 BST (UK) »
I thought that Daniel being a soldier could explain why Isaac was 'born at sea'.

The National Archives are showing:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10702041 - this Daniel too young as he was 34 when discharged in 1819.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10702312 - this one also too young as he too was discharged aged 34 in 1817.

TNA don't do spelling variants on their searches. Worth trying other spellings likely. The original images of these are available to view on Find My Past.

Monica