Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 2nd May  (Read 986 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 2nd May
« on: Monday 03 May 21 08:38 BST (UK) »
Was dreaming about my mother just before I woke up, probably because it would have been her birthday.

Another day that was pretty much the same, out for a walk late morning, it was pleasant enough. Did some things on the laptop such as changing energy suppliers as my fixed term deal is coming to an end. Life was so much simpler when there wasn't all this competition. Read the meters and submitted readings, sent myself a text on my spare phone so that they don't cut it off again. All those little annoying jobs that I tend to put off.

Did some gardening, heavy rain was forecast later. Sorted out some of what used to be called Montbretia, I'd dug loads out and left them in a forgotten heap at the back of the garden, some were sprouting. I often wondered why they are now called Crocosmia so I looked it up. Apparently the invasive ones (mine!) are known as Montbretia,whilst the named ones such as Lucifer are known as Crocosmia and don't take over in the same way. A lot of gardening features recommend Lucifer, now that I know they're not so invasive I might get some. Mine must I think be ones that have been reproduced from plants that my mother gave me years ago. I've dug up so many over the years and thrown them in the bin. Put some of them in a pot, threw the rest in the bin.

By 3pm the heavy rain arrived as forecast, did some hoovering and tidying. In the evening I watched the final episode of Line of Duty. Hmmm.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 2nd May
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 May 21 09:12 BST (UK) »
Yes Roobarb..... LoD - Hmmmmmm. Frankly I was disappointed. Felt the team had run out of steam somewhat??
Strange you were dreaming of your Mum. I wonder how that left you feeling when you woke.
I had to look up Montbretia, they are not favourites of mine.
Nice you can feel virtuous you have got lots of annoying little jobs out of the way.

H and I drove about 5 miles along the coast, picking up lunch from a salad bar on the way. It was cold and cloudy, with strong winds straight off the sea, and a good thing we had brollies with us, as there were several showers, but we enjoyed our salad.  A pied wagtail was strutting around the seating hoping for crumbs.
After a wander around looking in closed shop windows we visited a couple of garden centres on the route as we travelled back home. Bought a low growing multi headed sunflower for the balcony, and an indoor jasmine.
One of the centres had a robin flying around, which was singing loudly, and is semi tame as the staff have a feeder near the till.  They call the bird Ted, but as it has recently started nesting in the dove cott they have decided it must be Theodora!  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 May 21 09:18 BST (UK) »
My word you’re up early today 😳😳
Interesting to hear about Crocosmia.... I learn something new every day...
It’s interesting how the brain works with reminders... often wonder if there’s some thing from the deceased person that gives that little trigger.... I dreamt about my mum a few days after she’d died as I’d been fretting about all the arrangements and once that was done I was more relaxed... she came to me in this dream to tell me she was ok and with my dad and not to worry about her... so strange never had such a dream... I felt completely calmed by this .... I’ve never dreamt about her since, that I remember.... 10 years ago now.
Sorry I digress here...
Always good to give yourself reminders too and using your spare phone !

Sunday is a day of rest... so my dear Aunt always told me... after Church dear you just cook the dinner, no washing, ironing or anything like that.... thinking back about those days made me smile!
So as usual I read the Sunday papers.... well I skimmed through them, lovely picture of Princess Charlotte just turning 6 pretty little girl... most of the inside wasn’t worth reading... two page spread in how Boris can’t afford to be PM... you have laugh... who writes this stuff...
The crossword was the only thing worth doing...
SiL sent some lovely pics of nieces wedding... just them and 4 others... she looked pretty in her dress with floral lace on the top her bouquet matched them... wedding dress to be worn in August at the proper celebration...
We phoned our friends in Somerset and whilst I was chatting to E looking out of the kitchen window I saw the very large muntjac, that’s been seen by lots of neighbours, wander across the top of the garden round OH’s veg patch... I shouted to him and he went outside to see what it was up to... it leapt the fence and disappeared into next doors forest.. opps garden!
Now we’ve seen it in the garden it determined OH to go and get some tree protectors as it’ll be chewing the greengage tree bark next having decimated the magnolia and my tulips... he was worried about the veg plants too.... lovely to have wildlife but not when it’s doing damage!
When he returns from the garden place he puts the tree protectors round and we can only hope it works... he then mowed the front lawn before the rain that’s due...
I decided to do some baking for the girls coming on Tuesday.. I made two sorts of biscuits and soaked dried fruit ready to make tea bread on Monday...
Got dinner prepared and put the chicken in to roast.. bit later than I’d wanted to so we had dinner quite late...
Watched Line of Duty... last episode... not sure about the ending... felt a bit flat and not quite as I expected ... leaving it open for another series I thought... apparently so do the critics ...
Retired to bed early for a read.
Daughter sent more photos through of their visit to Cheddar Gorge... nice sunny day they had... finished off with an ice cream and a chunk of cheddar.. ?😳... what together... no course not mum! Cheese bought to take home 😂😂 silly me there was I thinking of a new brand of ice cream!!

Well hope others had a better day.... weather dependant of course...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 May 21 09:29 BST (UK) »
QUOTE "...finished off with an ice cream and a chunk of cheddar.. ?😳... what together... no course not mum! Cheese bought to take home 😂😂 silly me there was I thinking of a new brand of ice cream!!"

Why not Caroline?? We have the optional chocolate flake to make a 99.
Perhaps we could also have the choice of a cheddar stick... what number should we give that I wonder?  :-\
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 May 21 10:00 BST (UK) »
No idea why I woke up early today, it was late when I put the light out.
It was a nice dream about my mother but a bit odd, I was in an airport trying to sort out some problem, then I walked round a corner and there was my mother smiling and patiently waiting. Strange as I've never been in an airport with my mother.
What a touching dream for you Caroline, must have been very reassuring.

Your excursion sounds good MH despite the weather. Lovely to have sunflowers for the balcony, just as well they're low growing or you could be like Jack and the beanstalk!

It must have been strange for your neice having so few people at her wedding Caroline, not something anyone would have envisaged. Hope the tree protectors do the trick with the muntjac, very frustrating to have it scoffing your plants!

Must say I was very disappointed with the ending of Line of Duty, . I seem to remember that the other series endings were really exciting, this one was a bit of a damp squib. Someone still looking shifty though, maybe ready for another series.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 May 21 10:29 BST (UK) »
Chocolate and ice cream fine but ice cream and cheese..... not my taste! I know there are lots of odd combinations around ....

I’m not sure I’d brave sitting on a bench eating salad in the wind and rain... but you’re an all weather lady going by your posts! Hope your sunflower does well... the boys always grow them to see whose grows taller.. competitive creatures that they are!

I agree Roobarb there were quite a few shifty looks going around... pity after all the build up the series had and the viewing figures eye watering...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 May 21 12:58 BST (UK) »
well had promised myself i'd do so much cleaning but didn't and too much rain to hang the washing out. 

Found a 'missing' death thanks to SP adding more mother's maiden names to the death index.  He had a popular name so had too many to be able to work through otherwise but this allowed me to go straight to the right one and only pay for the one I needed.  So that little section appears a lot tidier now.  still on my very slow mission to attach all my sources to my online tree. Even more slow since I keep getting distracted by moments like "oh yes, I never found his death, I'll have another look"

Took my daughter to training and witnessed what I consider a new level of stupidity.  The other week I was ranting about people walking along a road without a pavement walking on the left hand side when they should be walking on the right facing on coming traffic.  Well today, saw someone walking with a child on the left hand side of the road again, only on this stretch there is also a pavement on the right hand side.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 May 21 13:16 BST (UK) »
Full of admiration for all that you ladies achieve - so much that I should be doing but when the day comes I somehow manage to talk myself out of it.

This past week I visited the twins (Tuesday) and my nephews girls on Thursday.   Lovely to see them again.   When we were unable to have a Christmas get-together as a family it was decided once things eased that we would have our 'Christmas' mid year and this is organised for 26th June.   We just pray it will be a dry day as will take place in my nephews garden.   There will be 20 of us.   My nephews wife is the organiser - there will be all the usual Christmas trimmings (I wouldn't be surprised if she comes up with a tree too), crackers, christimas napkins, christmas music - my sister has a santa outfit and A is hoping her brother will be Santa.   There's a secret santa - £5 only - and I have one of the twins!  Never, ever thought I'd be celebrating Christmas in June!

Yesterday afternoon I donned a jacket and went outside to do some planting.   My downstairs neighbour was outside so chatted for a few minutes and then it absolutely fell down.   Two hours later I managed to finally get out again and got a few plants in.   Still a few more to do, hopefully today (Monday) before the predicted rain and wind arrives.   Then have been invited for a meal at my sisters later.

Aside from that, nothing of note to report.   Have been watching 'Silent Witness' all this week, had forgotten how good they were.  Unfortunately they don't start until very late.

Our usual Bank Holiday weather - mind you, if it was warm and sunny the world and his dog would be heading to the beaches so perhaps it's just as well.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 May 21 13:20 BST (UK) »
"Our usual Bank Holiday weather - mind you, if it was warm and sunny the world and his dog would be heading to the beaches so perhaps it's just as well."  You are SO right Annette:-X

Christmas in June sounds fabulous. Might even be worth getting some gazebos just incase the weather isn't lovely?

We can get Silent Witness on catch up if you have that??