Author Topic: Brimington parish records yet again  (Read 701 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brimington parish records yet again
« on: Monday 03 May 21 10:50 BST (UK) »
I’ve been reading through the many previous threads about Brimington PRs and think I’ve grasped that there’s a CD for PRs from 1813 onwards, and that BTs exist (in the local archives) for baptisms and burials 1800-1805 and then 1813 onwards. I’ve also gathered that pre-1800 bps were likely to have been in Chesterfield. However, there are quite a few people with ancestors (sometimes entire families) born in Brimington (as recorded on censuses) with no corresponding bps in Chesterfield. Also the suggestion that these families may have been non-conformist and so bp elsewhere altogether.

I’m just wondering about the most likely alternative places for these pre-1800 bps to have taken place, and if Chatters have any new thoughts or ideas about pinning down these errant records.

Many thanks,
Flemming. 

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Brimington parish records yet again
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 May 21 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not sure if this assists but Bpt for Brimington are on Family Search with images from 1813 -1846
Brimington starts at image 518 of 870
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YM4P-6C?i=517&cc=1911752&cat=104427

Other available records
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/104427?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Images with a camera you should be able to view.  There are other places listed on these films,
so you need to look for BLACK headings to find Brimington.

Spendlove

PS  MUCH later but some school registers 1878 - 1914

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1857650?availability=Family%20History%20Library
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there, thanks for the links. The later post-1813 records seem ok, it's prior to that I'm curious about. There are too many people in censuses and other records born in Brimington pre-1800 with no bp record for there not to be something amiss here. I have a marriage licence from the early 1700s which says the couple can marry in Chesterfield or 'the chapel of Brimington' and so there must have been something there throughout the 1700s. Just wondering what it was and where the records went.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
This is what Derbyshire Record Office say about Brimington Registers, they state that 1801 a copy was made of some pages of dilapidated registers, but give no information as to where this copy can be viewed.
https://calmview.derbyshire.gov.uk/calmview/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=D636&pos=405

May be worth asking them what they actually have.

It does look as if the registers are lost but Bishops Transcripts should have survived, this said I cannot find any.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 22:35 BST (UK) »
The link seems to clarify things.

According to the 1891 Kelly's directory, the registers began in 1675 (though this was changed to 1794 by the 1925 Edition), and there was a copy made in 1801 of some dilapidated registers.

So there was a chapelry there in the 1700s but the records appear to have disintegrated over time. I wonder how much info is in the 1801 copy and whether DRO still has it. As you say, worth asking.

Many thanks.