Author Topic: Rector failed to record baptism of his own son (father of a future archbishop!)  (Read 397 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have come across numerous omissions in parish records previously but today I’ve come across a particularly interesting one.

In 1837 Henry Fisher was baptised in Higham on the Hill, Leicestershire. He was the son of John Fisher and Sophia his wife. John was the rector and baptised his son, but the record was only added some eleven years later, in 1848, together with a note certifying the record. Was the baptism party so well-lubricated with port that a mere incidental like recording the baptism was forgotten? Henry had a son Geoffrey, baptised in Higham in 1887, who later became Archbishop of Canterbury, and had a reputation as a good administrator. I wonder if he ever saw his own baptism record ;D

Dave :)

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
He may have had money problems on his mind? Several references in newspapers and the London Gazette re. bankruptcy between 1835 and 1838. Although baptisms in 1835 and 1838 recorded timeously.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Lol!

Well there is that old saying, "The cobbler's children go unshod!"
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
He may have had money problems on his mind? Several references in newspapers and the London Gazette re. bankruptcy between 1835 and 1838. Although baptisms in 1835 and 1838 recorded timeously.

This sounds interesting about the bankruptcy. However, the later note about the baptism, attached to the register, suggests that a party must have attended the baptism, including a relative who sounds comfortably off (a “ Gentleman”) so my money is on over-indulgence as the explanation!

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Nothing better than "wetting the baby's head"!!