Author Topic: Millington Springs 2 = the lads  (Read 530 times)

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Millington Springs 2 = the lads
« on: Monday 03 May 21 13:10 BST (UK) »
Attached is the second of the three Millington Springs family outing.

I made the mistake of leaving this on the table instead of leaving it flat in the photo album.  This has resulted in the photo curling with even more of the cellophane coming off the photo paper and my grandfather's face has suffered.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Millington Springs 2 = the lads
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 May 21 21:28 BST (UK) »
One from me
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Trishanne,
Thank you for your time and expertise.  My priority is my brother and father who are plain to see and so are a couple of my cousins and their father. I'll do the usual and see what my printer makes of my grandfather.
Cheers, Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 18:13 BST (UK) »
just had a thought, this might work.  Press a warm dry iron onto the photo at a part where there are no people and see if you can 'encourage' the film to re-adhere to the background photo.
Or, if you happen to have access to a laminator ... run the picture through without putting it in a laminate folder.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 18:38 BST (UK) »
just had a thought, this might work.  Press a warm dry iron onto the photo at a part where there are no people and see if you can 'encourage' the film to re-adhere to the background photo.
Or, if you happen to have access to a laminator ... run the picture through without putting it in a laminate folder.

It's kind of you to stop by Ian.   Coincidentally I've ironed today and have not yet put the iron & board away so I'll try your suggestion.

When I looked at the photos in the album, it seemed that air had got behind some parts of the laminate and the laminate had ballooned (stretched).

Now that the photos have not been restrained in any way, the edges of the photo paper have majorly curled upwards, which suggests that the laminate coating has shrunk.

I'll report back after the iron has had a conversation with the photos

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 23:58 BST (UK) »

Reporting back:-

I didn't put the iron directly onto the photograph but placed a thin piece of paper over the photos and then applied the warm iron.

Surprisingly raised cellophane made contact once again with the photographic paper.  Specifically the rivers of air which passed over both my grandfather's face on No.2 and also my grandmother's face on No.3 contracted with the result that the cellophane is once more in contact with the photographic paper  at those crucial points with no change to the original facial features, which is a big bonus.

However, looking at the photos in electric light, there is still evidence of some air under the cellophane.  A quick session with my copying machine is required lol

Thanks for your suggestion Ian.
Regards, Rena

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 May 21 11:36 BST (UK) »
Glad that worked out for you Rena ... here's a further thought.   Get your Iron and Paper ready again and stick a sewing needle into the ' bubble ' and when you iron in the right direction the remaining air should squeeze out and the plastic seal to the photo again.   Donkeys years ago I used to use Letraset stick on letters for Photocopying Masters and often they had small air pockets which had to be squeezed out through a needle-hole before they would stick flat.
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.