Author Topic: Hermes Scam Warning!  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hermes Scam Warning!
« on: Monday 03 May 21 15:03 BST (UK) »
I received a text message on my phone informing me that they had tried to deliver a package and will reschedule delivery for tomorrow, there was a link given to a web address that doesn't match their website and the phone number doesn't exist! We hadn't ordered anything but some people who may be waiting for a delivery may click on the link without thinking. Hermes usually put a note through the door with details of where the package has been left! I deleted the message without clicking on the link. Ironically, we had just got back from a walk. I only have essential numbers in my contacts list, I don't do any banking or ordering goods from my phone, so it's really annoying  >:(
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hermes Scam Warning!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 May 21 15:11 BST (UK) »
I've had that a few times, Carol. I'm wondering what the next scam will be  ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 May 21 15:43 BST (UK) »
They  just  do  not  stop do they, we have to be alert at all times

Last week I had written a large cheque, my bank rang me to talk about it,
 mentioned the amount and I then asked him how sure could  I be that he was in fact my bank, as  it   happens it was my bank , he said  my writing was  not  my usual handwriting,  not the signature, that was OK  but the rest of the writing
on the cheque, I was surprised  but they picked it up and thought it was worthwhile checking, I thought about it after and I assumed he thought I   had just signed a cheque  and given it to someone else to fill in, or it was an already signed cheque stolen, it renewed my faith  in human nature   i can  tell you

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 09:15 BST (UK) »
I received a text message on my phone informing me that they had tried to deliver a package and will reschedule delivery for tomorrow, there was a link given to a web address that doesn't match their website and the phone number doesn't exist! We hadn't ordered anything but some people who may be waiting for a delivery may click on the link without thinking. Hermes usually put a note through the door with details of where the package has been left! I deleted the message without clicking on the link. Ironically, we had just got back from a walk. I only have essential numbers in my contacts list, I don't do any banking or ordering goods from my phone, so it's really annoying  >:(
Carol

I think every single delivery company is being spoofed by scammers at the moment.  In our area the Royal Mail, DHL and Hermes seem to be the most common.   From local Facebook sites, pretty well all utiilites, banks, insurance companies, delivery services and even the police are being targetted.

I had 4 from DHL last week, apart from I wasn't expecting any parcels, it was clearly generated by a person with English as a second language.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 09:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, Harry, that is one of the main giveaways.  Poor English and bad spelling, also the fact that they don't give your name.  It's usually Dear Customer.

You have to be so on the ball these days.  ::)  So far I have avoided being scammed in any way and hopefully I never shall be.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 14:55 BST (UK) »
A while back, pre Covid, I was having trouble with my phone ,but over the phone spoke with BT to order another.
This was late on a Saturday night.
My bank details were refused.
B,T said no worries they would add the cost of my phone to my bill.
I phoned the bank next morning to see what was wrong.
It was explained to me that I had never shopped using my card at such a late hour before!It seemed suspicious to them,as they were aware I was elderly.
We exchanged some passwords etc and Mother’s maiden name ,all was OK.
I phoned BT again
The phone had been added to my usual monthly bill .
I was very grateful to the bank .
Viktoria.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 15:18 BST (UK) »
A while back, pre Covid, I was having trouble with my phone ,but over the phone spoke with BT to order another.
This was late on a Saturday night.
My bank details were refused.
B,T said no worries they would add the cost of my phone to my bill.
I phoned the bank next morning to see what was wrong.
It was explained to me that I had never shopped using my card at such a late hour before!It seemed suspicious to them,as they were aware I was elderly.
We exchanged some passwords etc and Mother’s maiden name ,all was OK.
I phoned BT again
The phone had been added to my usual monthly bill .
I was very grateful to the bank .
Viktoria.

Banks ask you to tell them if you are going on holiday otherwise your card may not work as they pick up on usage elsewhere in the country/another country you are not 'normally' making payments in. At the time I 'had a moan' to my next door neighbour who worked in the fraud department of a major bank and she told me it was one of the best ways the bank fraud departments had stopped lots of fraud for their customers.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 11:09 BST (UK) »
In the USA, the scammers send messages with real phone numbers. Things must be easier still for scammers there.
There's a chap who has a YouTube channel showing him wasting the time of the scammers, and attacking the PCs they use. It's referred to as "scambaiting".
He recently has started using an AI to converse with them rather than his own effort. It does voice recognition and plays back appropriate voice clips.
This week he posted a video showing his AI in action - phoning a scammer and pretending to be outside his bank and ready to do a money transfer of $17000 to their account.
By badgering them - the exact same method they use on their victims - the AI got them to give their account details. Even with an obviously invented name, and no record of them having contacted the "person" previously, their greed got the better of them.  ;D
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 13:10 BST (UK) »
Yippee!
The worm turns!
That brought a chuckle !
Viktoria.