Author Topic: Hermes Scam Warning!  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hermes Scam Warning!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 14:04 BST (UK) »
There was someone a while back who got them to transfer £5 to his account (presumably a "throwaway" one) to prove that the £5m inheritance they proposed to send him would go through. They got a bit upset when he told them he knew it was a scam and wouldn't return it.

Also, there's a web page somewhere by a scambuster who hacked into a scam-room security camera and watched them at work. He turned his screen bright purple so that he could see which was his.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 14:09 BST (UK) »
They  just  do  not  stop do they, we have to be alert at all times

Last week I had written a large cheque, my bank rang me to talk about it,
 mentioned the amount and I then asked him how sure could  I be that he was in fact my bank,

If I ring my bank (rare) I have to verify who I am, with characters from secure passcodes etc they supplied with my account. I have no objection to that, its protecting me.

Surely its about time the banks etc gave us all a secure code so if they ring we can (as they do) ask them to verify who they are by telling us (e.g.) the first and fifth characters of that code?

It may go some way to limiting the amount of successful scams?

I have suggested this to my bank but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears, so I have told them if they need to contact me, a secure message via online banking, along with a text and/or email to alert me to it, is the ONLY method I will accept for contact and they will be wasting their time ringing me.

Boo

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 16:18 BST (UK) »

Also, there's a web page somewhere by a scambuster who hacked into a scam-room security camera and watched them at work. He turned his screen bright purple so that he could see which was his.
[/quote]

That would be the great scambuster Jim Browning (not his real name). Just Search for him on Youtube
He was the reason behind the large BBC investigation, last year that got the big boss and all of his crew arrested on TV.
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 16:56 BST (UK) »
I have voice identification ,a phrase recorded and just as fingerprints are seemingly ( and I sincerely hope)so is our voice entirely individual to us!
I hear my OH in my sons’ voices ,but one lives dahn Sarth, so takes a barth!
Other has a bath,up here in the frozen North.
My voice has changed so much due to thousands of eye drops.It is husky now where it was high and clear ,could get top C, now more like Paul Robeson!
Fortunately the recording or whatever it was ,was done after the deepening.

It is worrying for scatter- brains as I am.
Tell me to press 1 and I’d say “ How high?” -well something like that  ::)
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

so takes a Barth

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 May 21 20:25 BST (UK) »
I have just had an unfortunate experience with Hermes. I was expecting a package, got all the notifications as to when it would be delivered and then email saying they had left it in my porch with photo of a bungalow in the next street. I went there with photo, but no luck, either the people there are liars, or someone lifted it from their porch, or Hermes have a tealeaf on the staff.
I complained, result they make so many deliveries they can't remember (convenient) , and suggest I claim from the sender.
In future when I can specify the carrier it won't be Hermes!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 May 21 20:46 BST (UK) »
Daughter had something similar but a happier outcome .
A parcel I sent was not delivered ,enquiries to a very similarly named house
was not the solving of the mystery.
No note through my daughter’s door .either!

Enquiries and a photo of their doorway but no parcel on the photo.
A massive  search found it in the woodshed!
Sorry you have not got yours ,I would not accept the solution Hermes suggested!
No way! >:(

Viktoria.