Author Topic: David TIMINEY, where did he go after 1851?  (Read 884 times)

guest259648

Re: David TIMINEY, where did he go after 1851?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 10:48 BST (UK) »
D.

I have checked Roots Ireland (being a nerd I subscribe to that!) -- no John born to a James. Irish Genealogy (free site, just in case you don't know) and Ancestry.

The only one I can find at the moment is a John Timoney, baptised 21 June 1837, so a bit late -- father James, but in Leitrim and Sligo. That's on Ancestry BUT the image is practically illegible - so I'm going off the transcription.

Usually - when I say I can't find something - another Rootschatter does and makes me feel like plonker - so I hope this happens for you.

Pennines
hahaha you're lovely. And far more experienced than myself, and very helpful.

I've come back to this John Timoney bapt. 1837 Sligo again and again - and now you've mentioned him too, you've given me luck and I'm feeling that this John is likely to be right. Because, you see, this John's father James Timoney was (99% certain) a soldier with the 6th Dragoons (Inniskilling) who went here there & everywhere in Ireland & England & Scotland between 1820 - 1842 and took the family with him, wife and kids. (He retired to Manchester.) So this John Timoney bapt. 1837 could have been born when the soldiers were in/near Belfast, yes, and baptised in a spare moment when his father James was back at what he considered his home base (Leitrim).

So I'll abandon the search for that David Timiney [in fact I've found a 'David Timney' being tried for manslaughter, Durham, 1875] and that may be what happened to this guy.

Request: If you subscribe to Roots Ireland, may I please ask you to check for a Mary NIXON who some folk on Ancestry believe was James Timoney (soldier)'s wife? The dates given for her are about 1800 - 1840 but I can find no mention of her on any of the sites I can see.

Big thanks, D

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 12:19 BST (UK) »
The David Timney charged with manslaughter in 1875 was aged 14.

guest259648

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 12:28 BST (UK) »
The David Timney charged with manslaughter in 1875 was aged 14.

Aged 14?
Blimey.
That doesn't show up on the index I've got. So it's essential to consult the details, thanks for looking :-)

Further to my previous message to Pennines, I think the John Timoney in Sligo is also unsuitable, since his age at baptism is now coming up as 0, therefore born 1837, not 1834/5 as I'm wanting. Unless, of course, he didn't know his true age: e.g. my John's son Henry Timoney, whose birth date can be seen by me (150 years later), was unsure of the correct year and (without any attempt to deceive) seems just to guess, when asked.

OK, so where is that David Timiney once he's left Old Monkland? There ought, at the very least, to be a record of death?

D

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 14:00 BST (UK) »
D.

Have you seen the Family Tree on Ancestry for a John McTimoney -- or is that your tree? He was supposedly born in 1834 Belfast, with a father James b 1799.

There is an entry in the British Army records for a Jas Timoney. Unfortunately it's just an entry in a Pension book dated 6th Nov 1842 giving this Jas an age of 43 - born in Dromahain? Leitrim. No other useful info for him. He was leaving the Army presumably with a pension, due to a persistant cough.

Neither your John nor David are coming up in Army births.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

guest259648

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 14:33 BST (UK) »
D.

Have you seen the Family Tree on Ancestry for a John McTimoney -- or is that your tree? He was supposedly born in 1834 Belfast, with a father James b 1799.

There is an entry in the British Army records for a Jas Timoney. Unfortunately it's just an entry in a Pension book dated 6th Nov 1842 giving this Jas an age of 43 - born in Dromahain? Leitrim. No other useful info for him. He was leaving the Army presumably with a pension, due to a persistant cough.

Pennines
I'm very wary of taking the contents of any Ancestry tree as 'truth' because so many of them are wrong. [I'm a professional researcher/biographer in another field, and it makes me hyper-careful.] I think using Ancestry is an enjoyable hobby for many people (and why not), but they often don't trouble to back up their 'finds' with records or proper evidence, and the trees fall apart as soon as you go in deeper.   

I've been in touch with a number of owners of Timoney trees, who have supplied more info. than you can see on Ancestry online.  The James Timoney/Tumney [6th dragoons] would be a very good bet in many respects, if only there were a solid record for a son John. Sigh.
     My John's first son Henry was desperate to join up with the dragoons in the 19th century - why? Nobody can say. Henry managed to get himself into the Hussars, light infantry.  Why was he pulled this way? Something in the genes?
     We also know of a 19th century 'Uncle Jimmy, who fights'... so who was he?

Do you know any unconventional ways of busting through seemingly impossible blocks?

D

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 14:49 BST (UK) »
I completely agree with you about taking other family trees as gospel -- however the 'John' in that tree tended to match yours with the same birth year and a comment to the effect 'claims he was born in Belfast'.

The father was shown as James with reference to an Army background -- all things, which you had mentioned.

I wish I did know of conventional or unconventional ways of breaking through brick walls, D! Irish research can be SO very frustrating. (Also -- mine never seemed to remember their age!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

guest259648

« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 May 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
D.

Pennines
I'm very wary of taking the contents of any Ancestry tree as 'truth' because so many of them are wrong. [I'm a professional researcher/biographer in another field, and it makes me hyper-careful.] I think using Ancestry is an enjoyable hobby for many people (and why not), but they often don't trouble to back up their 'finds' with records or proper evidence, and the trees fall apart as soon as you go in deeper.   

I've been in touch with a number of owners of Timoney trees, who have supplied more info. than you can see on Ancestry online.  The James Timoney/Tumney [6th dragoons] would be a very good bet in many respects, if only there were a solid record for a son John. Sigh.
     My John's first son Henry was desperate to join up with the dragoons in the 19th century - why? Nobody can say. Henry managed to get himself into the Hussars, light infantry.  Why was he pulled this way? Something in the genes?
     We also know of a 19th century 'Uncle Jimmy, who fights'... so who was he?

Do you know any unconventional ways of busting through seemingly impossible blocks?

D

Just a message to everyone watching this post - I'm not prepared any more to engage with Rootschatters outside of this public system, because of a really bad experience. 
 Please don't send me Private Messages.
 Please write to me only on here with your suggestions (gratefully received, as ever) and let everyone see what is written.

And - to the contributor who knows who they are - please don't add anything else to this thread, you are not welcome.

Still searching for DAVID TIMINEY or any similar spelling...
Thank you.