Author Topic: Hannah wife of James Johnson of Healaugh by Tadcaster  (Read 958 times)

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah wife of James Johnson of Healaugh by Tadcaster
« on: Monday 03 May 21 18:03 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Hannah’s maiden name, her baptism and a marriage date - sounds easy, but on my third lap of available information I admit defeat and hand it over to you good people.

What I know - James was born 29 Jun 1780, and baptised in Healaugh.  He married Hannah and they had 6 children Joseph, 1814; Robert 1816; Hannah 1818; Mary 1819, Dinah 1822, and Jane 1824, all baptised Wighill, Tadcaster.  I am assuming a marriage 1812-1814, but the best I can find geographically is 1805 (Hannah Stevenson at Fenton) with no sign of earlier children.  Hannah died in 1837, age 55 and is buried Wighill.  James married Ellen Flesher in 1839, and died in 1857, Wighill.

This person is the last of my son’s 4xG Grandparents to put names to, so a bit of a milestone, but seems more like the proverbial brick wall!
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Longfield - Yorkshire/Newcastle
Franklin - Lincs/Yorks border
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Aitken - Fife/Lincolnshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah wife of James Johnson of Healaugh by Tadcaster
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 17:15 BST (UK) »
No luck on the three things you are looking for! However you will have seen on James's baptism that his parents were named Robert and Jane, so I took it back a stage to them, and found many trees on line for this family. So you will need to check of course and you well may have already seen these trees already. Grandparents one stage back were Robert Johnson and Jane Wiggins, and your James had 9 siblings if the trees are correct. Names for his siblings feature in his own family with Hannah such as Dinah, Robert , Mary and Jane, and also the area of Healaugh, so pretty sure this is the same family. I did find a marriage to a Hannah Mitchell in Wakefield, Yorks 24/8/1813, but this may not be close enough to where you are looking.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 18:28 BST (UK) »
I think you might be on to something with your Church Fenton marriage.

There is a baptism in Wighill for Charlotte JOHNSON on 14 March 1808 (privately) born 13 March 1808 and it is a wonderful Dade entry, so also says:

Daughter of James JOHNSON lab of Wighill son of Robert JOHNSON of Healaugh by Jane his wife

and of

Hannah daughter of Edward STEPHENSON of Sherbourne lab by Mary his wife.

Also baptisms for Hannah in 1809 and Richard in 1811.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 18:51 BST (UK) »
I think Hannah's baptism may be under STEVENS in Sherburn in Elmet Thursday 20 December 1781 born Tuesday 16th December 1781.

Daughter of Edward of Lenerton lab out of Ackworth hospital (I believe this means Edward was an orphan or foundling, I have a "hospital boy" in my tree)

and

Mary daughter of John BANKS of Gowdall in the parish of Snaith by Elizabeth his wife daughter of John JENKINSON of Norton lab.

Pinetree

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 19:24 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you both.   I have thoroughly checked the Ancestry trees against my own research and I am happy mine is correct - I have 10 siblings, but I won't argue the odd one!  The Hannah Mitchell marriage.  I found her as a widow in 1871, so ruled her out.

Pinetree - you win!  I am ashamed to say I omitted to look in FindMyPast - I have only recently got access to it, but I have them now - many, many thanks - and more to Mr Dade!
All the 4GGs now accounted for - now to complete the next generation!

Pinetree, you are doing well.  There is a magic word in your second posting, regarding Hannah's baptism.  Lenerton!  James and Hannah's daughter Mary married Richard Longfield - the Longfields - several of them, lived and farmed at Lennerton, which is quite a small place (even now) so I think we can say you have hit the jackpot - Again. Thank you
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 19:34 BST (UK) »
Glad to help Kath.

Quite a spooky thing, my husband's ancestor George DISTANCE (DISTON) was from the London Foundling Hospital and sent to Ackworth at some point like many others.

He was baptised and named by Mr Hastell on 28 June 1757 at LFH.

I have found an entry there for Edward STEPHENS, also named by Mr Hastell and baptised 1 Sept 1757.  There is a burial in Sherburn in 1820 that is probably Edward and would make the age about right.

They may well have known each other and been sent to Ackworth together.

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/AckworthFoundling/

Pinetree

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 19:43 BST (UK) »
You have had a head start - I am just entering all the info you have left me with.  I am always amazed that my family and my husbands family crossed so often in the past - okay we both grew up in Yorkshire - but it is quite a big county!!
It looks as though I have another line I cannot follow.  It was only yesterday that I had my second illigitimate birth, and now you have found me a foundling.
Happy hunting
Kath
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire