Author Topic: Street Maps England from WWII 1938- German adapted.  (Read 1248 times)

Offline nuff

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Street Maps England from WWII 1938- German adapted.
« on: Monday 03 May 21 20:17 BST (UK) »
(Apologies if you have already read this, it was suggested that I move it to a broader forum)

A while ago, whilst I was sourcing early 20th century maps of Sheffield on commercial online sites, I came across German military maps of Sheffield made in 1938-. They were based on OS, but printed with additional military information marking sites of strategic interest.
I  didn't have more than a passing interest in them at the time and didn't take note of which site they were on. I know NLS have a set online for Scotland, but these are 1" OS based. The ones I saw were larger scale (showing streets and buildings) with annotations for industries, factory types, infrastructure buildings &c. Does anyone know where I can find English sheets?

thanks in anticipation.

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Street Maps England from WWII 1938- German adapted.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 May 21 21:35 BST (UK) »
https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~273331~90047885:Street-Map-of-Sheffield,-England-wi

Not sure if the above Link, shows the particular German Invasion Map, You are looking for.

Add: Sorry reread Your Post, I believe You require the Ordnance Survey Map of Sheffield, 6" to the Mile, English Version only.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/100950071

Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline nuff

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 00:48 BST (UK) »
 :D
Thank you Sandblown.
I think you were right first time round. It was a few years ago that I came across them for Sheffield so I could not remember the exact scale, just that there was a fair amount of detail. These are from 6inch OS and fit the need well. I just need to check through for the areas I have been asked about.
Also satisfying to find the High Command booklets there, photos of sites no longer existing, fascinating.

thanks again. 'nuff said.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 10:15 BST (UK) »
We can moved topics to a different board if you just let us know which board you wish for the topic to be moved to.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk