Author Topic: John doyle of Lucan, maybe  (Read 2094 times)

Offline maresscares

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John doyle of Lucan, maybe
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 May 21 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The Dunegan information is very persuasive.

May I just ask if the military record you quote is a summary or a copy of that which is available on Fold3 site (pay site through Ancestry) and also on FindMyPast.
I just wondered if there was more available in the Soldier Service Record.

Heywood

It's a copy of what's on Fold3, Lucky to even have that. I think most of the crimean records were destroyed
Down and Antrim - Orr, Kelly, Murray, Davey, Little, Phillips, McDowell, Morell, McKee, Crothers, Freeburn, Stewart, Holmes, Hill, McInnis.

Dublin and Kildare - Doyle, McMullen, Duffy

Other - Dundonald Ayrshire, Barrow-in-Furness Lancashire. Kent, Victoria and Western Australia

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 May 21 10:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks - so not much help then  :-\

Difficult for you but the Dunegan birth does look possible.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maresscares

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 May 21 10:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks - so not much help then  :-\

Difficult for you but the Dunegan birth does look possible.

Nope, but I'll see where the Dunegan path leads me. It's not the 1st time i've seen name changes, usally first names but you never know
Down and Antrim - Orr, Kelly, Murray, Davey, Little, Phillips, McDowell, Morell, McKee, Crothers, Freeburn, Stewart, Holmes, Hill, McInnis.

Other - Dundonald Ayrshire, Barrow-in-Furness Lancashire. Kent, Victoria and Western Australia

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 May 21 01:30 BST (UK) »

WA BDM death
1323   1899  McARTHUR  Mary Catherine   age 33   
parents   John /   McMULLEN Hannah       birthplace  Tilbury Eng

1324   1899    McARTHUR  Lilian                   age   3   
parents    Peter / DOYLE Mary Catherine   birthplace Jarrahdale   

1325   1899  McARTHUR Bertram Walton   age 11M   
parents    Peter   / DOYLE  Mary Catherine  birthplace   Mt Magnet   

Use Trove for newspaper articles.......and Norah KENT daughter of Hannah McMULLEN.    

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 08 May 21 02:24 BST (UK) »
Has anyone ever come accross a last name change while still in the their birth country and using the fathers real surname on documents?

I have 2 cases of surname changes.

Is it possible John Doyle left Ireland for a specific reason, one which he may have felt he needed to change his surname  ???

I gave up trying to follow this with all the links as I was straining my eyes to read some & having to keep click, click, clicking, enlarging etc.

It's so much easier for all when returning to a thread/post, to be able to read info. which could have been transcribed in full to here, saving time & effort all round!

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline maresscares

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 08 May 21 02:43 BST (UK) »

WA BDM death
1323   1899  McARTHUR  Mary Catherine   age 33   
parents   John /   McMULLEN Hannah       birthplace  Tilbury Eng

1324   1899    McARTHUR  Lilian                   age   3   
parents    Peter / DOYLE Mary Catherine   birthplace Jarrahdale   

1325   1899  McARTHUR Bertram Walton   age 11M   
parents    Peter   / DOYLE  Mary Catherine  birthplace   Mt Magnet   

Use Trove for newspaper articles.......and Norah KENT daughter of Hannah McMULLEN.

While that's all very interesting, I don't think she's one of mine death at 33 puts her birth around 1865-1867. im 1865 they were, in ireland and on a boat to western australian and 1866-67 were in Perth, western australia.

I also had the dates wrong for the some of the children, 1867 for Elizabeth, 1869 Rebecca, 1871 Thomas, 1874 Alice and 1877 John. Hannah Died 21 April 1891. However none of this adds to Where John doyle came from and even if his surname was Doyle

Offline maresscares

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 May 21 04:21 BST (UK) »
Has anyone ever come accross a last name change while still in the their birth country and using the fathers real surname on documents?

Is it possible John Doyle left Ireland for a specific reason, one which he may have felt he needed to change his surname  ???

I gave up trying to follow this with all the links as I was straining my eyes to read some & having to keep click, click, clicking, enlarging etc.

It's so much easier for all when returning to a thread/post, to be able to read info. which could have been transcribed in full to here, saving time & effort all round!

Annie

How did you figure out they'd changed names?

Gist of it is, I've got a john Doyle who's father's surname is Dunegen on his civl marriage record. I Have a feeling John Doyle might actually been John Dunegan, changed it for whatever reason. But kept the surmane Doyle to get his Army Pension and a job guarding on a convict ship

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 May 21 07:45 BST (UK) »

How did you figure out they'd changed names?

Gist of it is, I've got a john Doyle who's father's surname is Dunegen on his civl marriage record. I Have a feeling John Doyle might actually been John Dunegan, changed it for whatever reason. But kept the surmane Doyle to get his Army Pension and a job guarding on a convict ship

Mine actually state 'Previously' with their original surname.

Could John Doyle have been illegitimate although he knew his father's name, didn't know him personally & preferred to keep his 'birth' name?

Annie

Add...Is not not odd, if his mother was Catherine Christina, out of 3 daughters none are named after his mother?
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 May 21 08:20 BST (UK) »

He must have changed his name though before/or in order to enlist.
I saw records recently where a name change occurred after two brief enlistments elsewhere.

However, it might be an error on the marriage record.

The church record too has Catherine Christian as though it is her surname and there is the ‘America’ question.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk