Author Topic: Registry office marriage questions  (Read 603 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Registry office marriage questions
« on: Tuesday 04 May 21 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Today I've received a copy of a marriage certificate for a Ralph Harwood and Elizabeth Benson, who married on 29th August 1877.

When looking at the certificate, I noticed that it says 'Married in the Register Office' and the pre-printed line which says 'according to the rites and ceremonies of' is crossed out.

It then says 'By certificate' and the preprinted word 'by' is crossed out and only the preprinted word 'mo' is left.

It then gives two names, George Something Something - Registrar and William Something Something - 'Supt' Registrar, which I assume means superintending or supervising?

I know register office marriages are common nowadays, I had one myself, but my research has suggested they were not so common back then.

According to this research
https://media.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php/early-civil-registration/
In fact, register office marriages were very, very rare. The main purpose of the civil registrars of marriage was that they would be present at marriages conducted in Catholic churches, Baptist churches, you name it. There were very, very few which were pure civil marriages. There are statistics that were kept, and the number is absolutely minute. So it’s really quite rare. If someone was married in the register office in the 19th century, it’s extremely unusual. 20th century, it becomes common as anything. But in the 19th century it’s pretty rare.

I'm just wondering then, what might have motivated Ralph and Elizabeth to have a register office wedding. According to the certificate, they were both unmarried and both old enough to marry, Ralph being 22, Elizabeth 21.  They are to my knowledge, an unremarkable family with no particular circumstances that would necessitate this. I was under the impression that they were both Protestant families, although I suppose my research on that could be wrong.

Does anyone have any idea about this. Is the idea that register office marriage was rare back then, simply wrong? Thank you

UPDATE: Ralph and Elizabeth's children seem to be baptised in the Church of England, which to me seems to rule out religious dissent as a reason.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Registry office marriage questions
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 16:29 BST (UK) »

It then gives two names, George Something Something - Registrar and William Something Something - 'Supt' Registrar, which I assume means superintending or supervising?

No, he/she is the Superintendent Registrar.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 16:35 BST (UK) »
It might be unusual, but then everyone is different, and let's face it, we don't know the actual circumstances of bride and groom.   :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 17:10 BST (UK) »
A simply explanation could be the families didn't get alone or the families attended different churches and being 'of age' neither required permission and just got on with marrying instead of dealing with their family nonsense.
Could be other family members/friends before them had a civil marriage and/or civil marriage was more 'normal' depending on where in the UK they lived.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 17:19 BST (UK) »
Register Office weddings were not particularly unusual for the reasons already given. I have come quite a few in the early years of Civil Registration.  I understand the first one took place on 1st. July 1837.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 17:49 BST (UK) »
UPDATE: Ralph and Elizabeth's children seem to be baptised in the Church of England, which to me seems to rule out religious dissent as a reason.

Parents did and still do have their children baptised for a variety of reasons, not all of them connected to religious belief.
Some people became more favourable to religious tradition and practice as parents than they were as young adults.
Persuasive grandparent(s) are a possibility.
When you say that Ralph and Elizabeth were both from Protestant families, what do you mean? Were they both C. of E. or did one belong to another denomination?

Cowban

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 18:22 BST (UK) »
Maybe they preferred (or one of them preferred) saving money that a church wedding would have cost.  If they lived in different parishes, then they'd  have to pay for the banns in both parishes, plus a choir, plus the vicar's costs plus the cost of flowers, plus the cost of the registration certificate itself.   Why not just go to the Registrar's Office and pay out for the registration certificate only?  :D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 19:07 BST (UK) »
As Rena says, maybe they didn't want a fuss and expense.
Choir and flowers weren't obligatory though. Church weddings can be simple, quiet and select.
Cowban

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 20:18 BST (UK) »
I am sure that marriage by certificate or license was more expensive than banns, just less 'publicity'
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire