Author Topic: The Payne Family in Tashinny/Cashel/Killashee, Longford Co  (Read 763 times)

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Payne Family in Tashinny/Cashel/Killashee, Longford Co
« on: Tuesday 04 May 21 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I've been attempting to do some work on the Payne Family in the 3 parishes of Tashinny, Cashel and Killashee. My family in Longford started with:
Richard Payne, born 07 Oct 1823 in Killashee Parish to Abraham and Elizabeth (Ryder/Rider) Payne. Richard immigrated to Ontario in 1846. and his parents immigrated about 1849.
Richard Payne's father- Abraham Payne's stone says he was born in Nov 1781 and died on 02 Jan 1867 Eardley, Quebec, Canada. His wife Eliza's stone said she was born in Sep 1780 and died on Nov 1865 Eardley, Quebec, Canada.  They were married on 29 Feb 1812 in Cashel, Abraham was of Tashinny and Eliza was of Cashel. Abraham's death record from the church says he was the son of George and Elizabeth Payne of Ireland. There is a document that says Abraham's nephew was John Ryder, and he was the s/o Alicia Ryder(Payne) who was from Killashee from her marriage record in 1815.
There is a George Payne in the Longford Newspaper reported as being in a mental ward in Dublin and died at the age of 94 in September 1850. This seems to be the George who is the father (but there is no proof regarding this). This would compute his birth date to be 1756, and he would be 25 when Abraham was born.
It looks like (based on the tithe books) that most of the Paynes were from Cashel or Killashee, and it looks like George (1756-1850) was the oldest relative of the family in Killashee. Is there a way to find relatives that could be his father (note- naming patterns don't line up at all in this family) - but I can't figure out a way to find someone and was hoping someone might know.
Thanks!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Payne Family in Tashinny/Cashel/Killashee, Longford Co
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 13:52 BST (UK) »
I seem to find no mention of George
 the tithe Applotment books record two extra parishes but possible father etc
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=payne&firstname=&county=Longford&parish=&townland=&search=Search
Payne   Alexander   Dernadriff   Cashel   Longford   1827
Payne   James   Dernadriff   Cashel   Longford   1827
Payne   John   Dernadriff   Cashel   Longford   1827
Payne   James   Drumnacross   Clonbroney   Longford   1825
Payne   Abraham   Ballydrum   Killashee   Longford   1835
Payne   Abreham   Ballydrum   Killashee   Longford   1835
Payne   Dominick   Barry   Taghshinny   Longford   1830
Payne   Gilbert   Kileuny   Taghshinny   Longford   1830
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 June 21 21:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for sending that, I had also seen that. I've done a bit more work on the Payne's by now, so the only question I have is are there any other early census substitutes I can look at? I've already looked at the 1796 flax growers.
Thanks you!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 June 21 09:06 BST (UK) »
I am out of my depth, however my guide would be to look at
http://www.billmacafee.com who was studying derry and antrim
and has headings
Databases compiled from 19th Century Census Substitutes
Databases compiled from 18th Century Census Subtitutes
Databases compiled from 17th Century Census Subtitutes