Author Topic: Living people on the 1939 register  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Living people on the 1939 register
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 21:59 BST (UK) »
When I first checked the 1939 register, my dad, born 1936 and still very much alive was on there. Later when I went back to look again, he had been redacted.

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 22:39 BST (UK) »
Appreciate the 1939 gives an exact DOB & residence but her (and your) approximate birth details will still be viewable on all GRO indexes. If you wish to close there is an alternative way, whether they subsequently ask for proof by email, no idea:
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/#9-living-individuals-and-closed-records

9.3 How to close an open record of a living individual
If you see a record that is open, but which you believe should be closed because the person is still alive, you can ask for the record to be closed using the ‘close an open record’ button on the respective transcription page on Findmypast. If you do not have access to Findmypast, you can make a request direct to The National Archives using our Your views form. [link]

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 10:02 BST (UK) »
Surely, as the record has been opened in contravention of the DPA, the onus is on the companies to provide proof that this is appropriate -- ie proof of death --rather than on me to try to provide proof of life?! Never mind the fact that seeing a copy of a passport doesn't prove that anyone is alive!

Although it isn't clear from what you are saying, it is possible there is an element of them wanting to verify you have the authority to request re-closure of the record.

The law on data protection isn't just about the publication of information, but also covers the appropriate handling and processing of it. Rights in connection with personal data are held by the individual, not the public at large.

Therefore it could be a breach of the legislation for an organisation to 'process' an individual's personal data on the say-so of a third-party. The onus should be on the requester to verify that they have the right to make the request.

I'm with BumbleB in terms of being happy if it were my record inadvertently opened. I would be very unhappy to discover a meddling third party had taken it upon themselves to have my record closed without my consent.

So, even if they aren't consciously doing it, I think FindMyPast should really be seeking some evidence that a request for re-closure is being made by or with the consent of the subject. A copy of the passport or driving licence might be a reasonable proxy for consent as they aren't documents someone unconnected to the subject would normally have access to.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 10:34 BST (UK) »
As others have said there are those who slip through the net and are visible when they shouldn't be as it is not 100 years since they were born.

There is a lady I know whose details are visible as she has gone past the 100 year rule.  Currently 102.  I wonder how many other centenarians plus have been opened due to the 100 year rule?

Depends on how much you mind about a living relative being visible on the 1939 Register.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 13:31 BST (UK) »
I found a couple of my clients open on the register as children recently ... they were quite interested in seeing themselves.

I dont think it is that unusual, I've heard many similar reports.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 13:53 BST (UK) »
The record for my mother was closed until I requested it be opened & giving the evidence they required, she would have been 98 if still alive. Her brother who was 2 years younger has also passed away & his record is still closed. The next two younger brothers who are still alive at 90 & 83 both their records are open.
I have come across quite a few other members of my family who are still alive & children at the time, have their records open & been very pleased to have a copy of the record. I dare say this has happened in a lot of cases.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 May 21 20:33 BST (UK) »
After all we are talking about information that was taken 82 years ago.

Unfortunately I'm not old enough be appear on the 1939, but I certainly would have no problem with my record being available - we're not talking about current information, are we?  :-X
Good strong point. Perhaps now we are no longer governed by the instigators (Brussels or the EU) Johnson 's government can usefully repeal this stupid cumbersome overarching rubbish of a data protection system, and replace it with something intelligible and fit for purpose.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 May 21 06:08 BST (UK) »
Sometimes mistakes do happen.  You don’t say on which site you saw this, if it was Findmypast, on provision of proof they will redact her. I can’t say about Ancestry.

What sort of proof do they demand?!

A signed and witnessed request from the living person is all the proof they require.

That also stops any busybodies who are trying to close records that the subject of the records is happy to have open.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 May 21 12:58 BST (UK) »
I take exception to comments about "meddling" and"busybodies". You don't know me or my mother, you don't know our feelings, and I think that if you didn't intend those comments to apply to me, you should make that clear ---- or apologise.  >:(
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)