Author Topic: Christening Records Bow Island or Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada  (Read 759 times)

Offline happygypsymoth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christening Records Bow Island or Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
« on: Wednesday 05 May 21 02:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, my father was born in Medicine Hat or Bow Island, Alberta, Canada, on July 4, 1911. (Some American records say 1912)

I can't find birth or christening records for him.  I was told by a researcher in that area that there were christening records, but I've never been able to find them. His mother, Martha (or Margaretha) Goetz McElheny was Roman Catholic. However, as far as I can tell the Catholic Church that was in that area no longer exists.

I knew my father's name as Archie John McElheny.  My mother thought he was christened Archibald Eugene Augustus McElheny.  His father's name was Thomas Wilbur A. McElheny.

Can someone point me towards where I might look for or request these records?
Thank you!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Christening Records Bow Island or Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 08:47 BST (UK) »
RootsChat May 2011

Background in previous thread on  Grandfather, Thomas W. McElheny, born 1869, in Kansas, United States.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 08:58 BST (UK) »

1920 census gives birth of Archibald as Nova Scotia ?

1920 Tuscarora, Pierce, North Dakota.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MC8D-2Y6

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline happygypsymoth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 May 21 00:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response!

He and his two other McElheny siblings (Archie, Bill, and Marie) were born when they lived in Bow Island, Alberta. Yes, I've seen all the Census for them.  One Census also lists his birth in Minnesota.  After my grandfather died or disappeared,  my grandmother moved back to the states.  She told everyone that the three had been born in the United States, not Canada.  Nova Scotia was definitely not where they were born.  I'm not sure why it was listed as Nova Scotia at one point. Maybe the children were old enough to say they were born in Canada,  but they didn't really know where.  Or maybe for some reason grandma Martha really didn't want anyone knowing where in Canada they were born.  It also says Bill was born in England. Which he absolutely was not.

Also, one Census, the older children told the Census taker that Fred was a female named Freda. They were apparently  jokesters!   ;D

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 May 21 07:26 BST (UK) »
When A.J. McElheny married for the 3rd time to Lavon Dearing a widow in Butte, Silver Bow, Montana
on 2 September 1949 he states he was born Alberta Canada.
Both were living in Ashton Idaho.
His wife was born Marysville Idaho
Married by a Justice of the Peace.
His parents are  listed as Thomas McElheny and Martha Getz.
Her parents are John Crunch and Almira Wilson   

Sorry you already know that

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 May 21 13:32 BST (UK) »
First, births have restricted access in Alberta of 120 years.

1916 Census
There are two "McElhiney" families and a single in Edmonton District residing around the Foothills of Saddle Mountains.

They are all born in the U.S. except a son Albert J. who was 1 and in the other family have a daughter Frankie (female), they were Methodist.  The first family arrived in 1912 the next in 1913. Then there is the single chap named Solomon age 36 on his own also U.S.
By 1921 these families are gone.

https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1916&op=&img&id=31228_4363980-00415

The Bow River District family were "Mcelheron" and they were from Ontario.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.