Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 4th May.  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 4th May.
« on: Wednesday 05 May 21 07:43 BST (UK) »
Had my second vaccination yesterday. Very slick set up, and thankfully, no after effects apart from a penny sized bruise, so far.
Afterwards went for a stroll around the farm shop nearby, where they have animals in enclosures from all over the world. It was still hugely windy though, so we didn't hang around for long.
Had an outside coffee date with the usual Tuesday crew and then a brisk walk along the sea front after lunch.
Watched a very strange Richard Gere film later, where he played the Baddie. I never expected to see such bad behaviour from him!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 4th May.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hope you continue to feel ok after your jab MH... my daughter had her first one yesterday...
Well done for braving the elements!

I had been woken in the night by the wind rattling round the house and I opened the blinds in the morning hoping that the leaning tree from next door was still standing... thankfully it was!
We decided not to have our usual Tuesday coffee as sitting outside would have been cold, windy and a regular douching of rain!
I made another face covering as I thought my winter one with skiers on was probably out of season now.... although given the weather outside I’m not sure... who would have thought that last year the temp was in the 20’s C and now we’re in fleeces and the heating is still coming on!
Later I did some washing and hung it out thinking it would dry in the wind and in between the rain! Had to bring it in eventually as it was wrapped round the washing line!
Had a conversation with our V Hall chair about giving the hall a good deep clean as it’s been shut for over a year, apart from a short time in the summer ... it seemed odd to be discussing v.hall business... we’re going to have our fist meeting after May 17th...
More paperwork to do re the new subs coming in for our village lottery... good job really as we’ve not earnt any money over this past year!
Late afternoon we had a game of scrabble which I won... used all my tiles scoring 84 on one go...OH not too happy 😢😀.
He’s still busy trying to finish 1500 piece jigsaw it’s a real hum dinger and best lest with no distractions!
Dinner was chicken stir fry...
Usual tv... nothing very exciting....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 09:41 BST (UK) »
Very pleased to hear that you haven't been badly affected by the jab MH, I remember that the first one made you feel very unwell. Good to be able to meet your friends even in the windy conditions.

A shame about your get together Caroline, what I'd like to know is what you did with all the goodies you'd baked.  ;) ;D Good news about your village hall reopening, a step towards normality. Keep it up with the scrabble!

My day:

A wet day from the start and forecast to continue for most of the day. Did a few of those jobs that I struggle to get round to like turning the mattress around. Was expecting a parcel between eleven and one ,after lunch the rain stopped so I went out. Was walking through the woods when it started again, heavier as I crossed the field so I was soaked by the time I got home. Felt unsettled all afternoon, did some cleaning and checked a couple of things on the laptop.
I don't know if I have blackbirds nesting in my pyracantha, I saw a female carefully making her way in while her mate watched from the lawn. I'll make sure I don't trim it, don't want to risk anything.

My friend J and I had arranged to have a weather check at 4.30 to decide whether we'd be going for a walk about 5pm. By that time the rain had stopped and the sky was clearing but according to the Met Office it was raining heavily and set to continue. We decided to trust what we saw and go out. It was breezy but stayed dry and sunny, we bumped into my friend A as we walked into the village, she'd been to the beach with the dog but hadn't stayed long. Not surprising, when J and I got further towards the sea the wind was quite strong, we turned into a side road where it was more sheltered.

Felt better when I got home, I think my unsettled feeling was simply that I was a bit fed up. More rain in the forecast for the next few days although some sunshine too.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 09:42 BST (UK) »
"Late afternoon we had a game of scrabble which I won... used all my tiles scoring 84 on one go....."

Epic!! GO Caroline!!  :D

Thanks Roobarb. Yes fingers crossed, all ok so far. Where we sat for coffee alongside the library building is not very scenic, but was sheltered from the wind yesterday.
Glad you got a dry walk with your friend later.... it would have been horrid to be drenched twice in one day.
I shall hope you have blackbirds nesting.... that would be so lovely to watch.  Where I lived when the boys were young, we had wrens outside the back door one year. It was beyond amazing to me having been more used to city life.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 10:47 BST (UK) »
Oh “ Trees with blackbirds nesting in their hair”!
How lovely.
Lovely walks you have been taking
I should do one today to the Post Box  as my sister in law’s Birthday is soon .
She will be 83,a year younger than I.
The only girl after three boys she was cherished by them and I always felt my other sisters in law and myself benefitted from the boys ‘ loving care of their  little sister.

Bright and very sunny with a blue sky and a few cotton wool clouds but a cold wind.
Carer just calling to neighbour , I do think they are brave going into other’s
homes when as yet they may not visit  family.
Hope son comes tomorrow would like him to post FH’s present on the other hand it is heavy and he will have so much anyway ,it will get to him one way or another and the postage which will be about £15 I should think is better going into his little bank account I have where I put all the loose change when I do a purse tidy .
Might strip the bed today ,a good drying day .
Really need to do kitchen cupboards out and check dates etc.
It is hard to be tidy on the surface when behind the scenes is as my mother would say say” like a dog’s dinner!”.
No sign of Nasturtium seeds having germinated yet.
Patience patience!

I never thought we would see in the news that a British Policeman would
SEEM,to have acted like an American one did not so long ago.
We don’t have all the details but the length of time the offender was Tasered
was excessive it has been reported.
What a shame on all counts ,an experienced officer pushed beyond limits   and an offender  with mental health issues due to a physical condition.
Our Police are wonderful ,having to go among stupid demonstrators when they have not been a priority group for vaccinations.
They are constantly being pushed to and beyond limits and are at least I believe   20,000 fewer than a short time ago!

Well ,must get busy , the work won’t  do itself!
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 13:18 BST (UK) »
There must be something wrong with me - I cleaned the microwave - as in a good clean not just a wipe round , including using a wooden cocktail stick to get into the corners. Then I cleaned the oven door glass! Not the whole oven mind you, but the glass door you can see through it beautifully now.
Think I might have shocked myself.
North East of England

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 15:03 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 16:42 BST (UK) »
The Spring cleaning bug has bitten me too!
Kitchen done and utility room ,that never looks any better but things have been moved around a bit!

As soon as it gets warmer inside can go blow!
I will be up my elbows in compost etc.
Can’t see my goldfish today, did not come to be fed when I ,as usual, topped on the side of their pond .
Perhaps they can’t be bothered as it is so cold .
Friend in Wales sent some Aloe Vera offshoots and Spider plant babies.
A little Thankyou for the earrings I sent her perhaps but she likes to share plants ,has a lovely garden,on The Gower peninsular .
Oh the laughs our two families had when kids young .
Her OH very explosive,mine cool and calm,but each liked the other.
It was their dog that followed the window cleaner up the ladders!

No idea what to have for tea ,but a fridge, freezer fulland cupboard full so won’t starve will I!

Well a cuppa and then think about what to prepare.
Hope the weather warms up soon, it is really cold here.

Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 18:36 BST (UK) »
Steady on ladies!  :o Hope you've got over the trauma Candleflame.  :D

How lovely of your friend to send the plants Viktoria, a nice personal present.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales