Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 4th May.  (Read 1048 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 4th May.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 22:10 BST (UK) »
I cleaned my microwave this morning too!  I also emptied the cutlery and kitchen gadget drawers and cleaned them along with the plastic liners.  Did a laundry and dishwasher load, stopped short at giving the dog a bath.  He has to have one soon, will be going to vet for his annual money grab, oops, I mean check-up!  I wonder how much we have spent on this little beast, a small fortune. 
Yesterday I cleaned out a bunch of genealogy mags, all British, earliest about 1997, latest 2018. There are about 130 in all, and I have kept another dozen or so to read again.  I offered them to a family history friend, her roots are entirely English - she said yes, but she doesn’t know how many I actually have.  We are going to phone chat tomorrow, so I will let her know.
Have also been cleaning up in my office.  I plan to buy a new computer desk and get rid of a lot of stuff.  It must be spring, cause I hate cleaning and sorting! 
The weather here is coolish, about 9 today.  We finally got some rain they had been forecasting for a few days.  Says it will not go much above 16 or so for the next two weeks.  Good.
Went for a walk in the park a couple of hours ago, OH went on his merry way, walks faster than I do (long legs) and I had my hiking sticks.  I headed back to the car on a man-made path, saw two geese a few yards away, drinking from a large puddle, 6 goslings with them!  They blended in with the water and were dirty but still very cute in their clumsiness.  The parents didn’t seem to mind me, but honked and chased off another goose.
I then went up the slope where they have planted yet-to-bloom flowers and there are a couple of benches so I sat down and saw a couple of chipmunks running around, then a grey squirrel came up to me at the end of the bench and I thought for sure he was going to jump up and sit next to me.  I talked to him and he stayed for quite a while.  Then a groundhog came along, got very close to my feet and sniffed my hiking sticks. Looked like a young one. Wish I had my phone with me, but if I’d tried to take a picture they prob have run off.  They are usually very shy.
We are still in lockdown.  Next big excitement is grocery pick up on Friday.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 22:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roobarb ,we knew each other as girls but different schools,and she lived across a very busy main road ,also she is three years older than me and at eleven or so is a big difference.
I passed her first home after she married on my way to and from my parent’s home after I married .
My son was six month’s older than hers .Her husband was in The Navy, on an Aircraft Carrier,  and away from home a lot whilst mine was travelling to the Near and Far East, Scandinavia and Europe for his job so she and I were alone a lot .
We teamed up ,just park walks ,day trips to the seaside etc.
Never in the evenings .
When I  and  the children and all our pets were leaving England to join my husband who was already in Belgium, we were alone at M/c Airport ,but they came to see us off ,I have never forgotten that kindness as it was upsetting  - I was leaving my Dad ,a widower ,but had to keep our little family together.
We never lost contact .Her husband died a year or so after mine such opposites, he very quick tempered but up and down in a minute ,mine always calm ,but they liked each other.
Such funny stories with our four little boys ,she is Rhesus negative so only two children ,the last weighed 12 pounds!
A huge lad,great at Rugby.
Never had the little girl they would have liked to have had.
But such Happy Days!

Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 23:35 BST (UK) »
Dear me, I'm exhausted just reading about all this spring cleaning! I'm sure you'll consider the money spent on your dog well worth it Diana, you obviously treasure the little guy.  :) Your park sounds like a great place, full of wildlife. I don't know anything about groundhogs other than the film, had a look at some images, they look to me similar to a beaver but I've no idea how big they are. Rabbit, cat or larger?

What a good friend you've had all these years Viktoria, reflected in your remembering her kindness all those years ago when she came to the airport to see you off.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 May 21 00:56 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, groundhogs are about the size of a cat but more rounded.  This one was small, I am guessing a year old?  Beavers are a bit bigger and have that flat tail they can hit on the water.  The groundhog tail is not very long or flat.  The park is wonderful, am not sure if the Parks department relocates skunks.  There must be rabbits there, too, haven’t seen any recently, just a large one in the backyard the other day.
The Groundhog Day observance was brought to NA with German settlers, but don’t know what creature they had in mind, none in Germany.  Just looked it up - badgers.
Yes, every penny spent on that silly dog has been worth it, I was just kidding, but I do think vets overcharge!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 May 21 03:41 BST (UK) »
Just doing a bit of catch up on the diary threads -

It’s good to hear that you are feeling ok after your second jab MH.

You must all be pleased with talk of the hall reopening Caroline, despite the prospect of some hard work to get it cleaned.

I love the thought of baby blackbirds Roobarb. I do find baby birds quite a worry - there are so many predators around, and fledglings always seem to get themselves into some kind of dangerous position.

You made me smile with tales of your cleaning efforts candleflame.  ;D

Viktoria, you are a lovely person and a lovely friend.  :-*

Diana - I sympathise re the vet bills. I used to call my previous dog a “money pit” - she was at the vets a few times every year for various ailments, with expensive medications prescribed, and also had ongoing health issues (bad knees) which needed more meds. She was gorgeous though, and they’re always worth it. Current dog is cheap to run thank goodness, so it’s just the annual check and jab for her.

Tuesday was so long ago that I can’t remember what I did.  :)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 May 21 08:13 BST (UK) »
Lovely that you had such close encounters with nature Diana. Sounds really enviable.
Well done with all the clearing and recycling, great job. Your new office will be very posh I am sure.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 May 21 11:09 BST (UK) »
Well, peeped out of the bedroom curtains this morning to a garden covered in ice!
Frost on the utility room roof(single storey) but bright sunshine!

How lovely to see so many wild animals.
Just grey squirrels here ,birds and ducks on a pond ——- another poem springs to mind- something like “five ducks on a pond ,what a memory for years ,remembered with tears”
I will have to look it up now.No other wildlife ,

Just phoned my husband’s sister 83 today.
Her son had just called so will phone back later.
Yes dogs  are expensive,our little Patterdale/ Jack Russel was very hardy  but now and again needed treatment .
I was with Pet Plan which started if atŁ15 a month in 1994 but as she got older got to Ł49-99.
 Cross  breeds are cheaper to insure than pedigrees but now genetic faults are manifesting themselves with Labradoodles,Cockerpoos ,etc and the man who started the cross breeding to try to eradicate inherent faults admitted he really regretted it.
The yearly vaccinations are never on the insurance.

Are you still O.K Mowsehowse ?

Baby birds, what a privilege to have them in your garden, hard to leave them alone as you do worry about them, but never interfere is the golden rule I think.You obviously adhere to that.
I must get on with my kitchen ,where do the crumbs come from in the cutlery drawer?
I don’t like this kitchen/ diner!
Thought I would get used to it but to see the sink when eating Christmas   dinner,  >:(
Not a real problem at all I tell my whingeing whining self!
A clip round the legs that would get me in my Mum’ s Day!
Oooh she was ‘ard! :D
Hip somewhat better today up to now.

Must uncover the Sir  Tom Rose, I protect it from the frost at night.

Next but one neighbour was busy with a strimmer in his back garden yesterday, he has it all paved abd gravelled but the flippping horsetail weed flourishes,he does not use weed killer.The thought of all those little bits that
can regenerate !I only saw three bits in my garden last year as I am obsessed with eradicating it,he is OK and we have a laugh but the best thing he can do now is to sprinkle garden lime liberally ,it hates that.
Hope everyone is well, lots of Spring cleaning and reorganising going on,is it a custom peculiar to Britain? In Belgium it was Het groot schoenmaak ,every week! .
Most houses had tiled floors and the skirting boards were tiles ,like a shallow paddling pool- so a bucket of very hot water with “ soft soap “  was flung down and swished around and then dragged our with a “ trekker”,a heavy duty squeegee on a broom handle
which effectively pulled or “trekked “ the soapy water out leaving an almost dry floor which could be buffed up to a soft but safe sheen.
All pouring over the step.
The floor cloths are huge and can be folded over the trekkers and the floor is “ zwabbed “to the soft  sheen.
Phew, and we lived next to the owners of the house we rented ,there were friendly “ visits” ie inspections .
I always left a key when we went on holiday but she had one anyway as of the two sets back and front we only had two each lock ,there are three keys to a lock .I could tell she had looked under beds etc as being a typical Belgian huisvrouw ,she was a big girl and needed to press on the beds to get up — leaving  her hand impression on the covers.
Never  mind ,I was not going to let England down was I!
No fluff was ever found.

Well must phone sister in law back and friend in Shropshire ,have to time  that, her son stopped the cares out of concern  so he does all she needs and I try not to phone when he is busy or having a sit down .She likes Yardley’s
Lavender ,so refreshing I think when you are ill in bed.
Her Birthday 29 th May.

Thanks for the news everyone,things are getting better generally but Hyndburn is very high at the moment

T
Wonder what will the result be of the Elections?
I am supporting the  candidate who will endeavour to halt the building on green belt land which in our borough is almost almost always Ramsbottom and  is transforming it from a little market  town to a suburb of Bury .
I won’t say more as it would be political.
Cheerio, thanks for the news .look after yourselves
Viktoria

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 May 21 13:09 BST (UK) »
Lovely that you had such close encounters with nature Diana. Sounds really enviable.
Well done with all the clearing and recycling, great job. Your new office will be very posh I am sure.

Thank you, MH, I have more to do in the office, but I figure if I take one step at a time it will get done.  Problem now is our lockdown, I want to call Habitat for Humanity to pick up the unwanted furniture and rug (I bought a lovely IKEA rug, Pennsylvania Dutch design with a black background, about 6 years ago - It’s just a magnet for dog hairs), but as we are in lockdown, doubt if they are doing this.
Had a close encounter with nature this a.m., took dog out, he was leashed, long, he was having a very intense sniff around one area of yard, I wandered over and could see a large calling card of some critter - most likely a raccoon, too large for anything else.  Ick.  I left the plastic marker for OH to pick up later 😁.  Not the encounter with nature I enjoy!