Author Topic: William Shaw & Agnes Jamieson  (Read 494 times)

Offline Chris5856

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Shaw & Agnes Jamieson
« on: Wednesday 05 May 21 13:42 BST (UK) »
I have very little to go on here. William Shaw died in Glasgow in 1894 aged 42. His death certificate sates his parents were William Shaw and Agnes Ferguson both deceased. He has two census returns in Glasgow. 1881 & 1891. Both say he was born in Ireland.  His marriage certificate in 1878 states his parents were William Shaw & Agnes Jamieson :-X Both parents are alive in 1878. I tend to believe that the marriage certificate will be more accurate than the death one so im going with his mother was Anges Jamieson. But I cannot find marriages for either of those surnames. The family believe that they were from Antrim. Ive tried Ancestry, Irish Genealogy and Family Search, nothing. Any help would be appreciated.
McKay - Belfast / Coatbridge & Airdrie
Quinn - Letterkenny /Coatbridge & Airdrie
Delaney - Airdrie
Shannon - Belfast / Coatbridge & Airdrie
Johnston - Airdrie & Coatbridge
O'Brien - Dublin / Liverpool
Dunn - Liverpool

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Shaw & Agnes Jamieson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 May 21 09:29 BST (UK) »
So you have the death cert of Wm Shaw the younger 1852-1894.  You are looking for the marriage of the parents or his marriage?  Am presuming the parents?  Was the wife of Wm Shaw the younger also born in Ireland. If so what are her parents names please?

Have you obtained or looked for the deaths of Wm Shaw the older and Agnes Jamieson Shaw?

There is this Antrim death that fits in with the 'alive when Wm Jnr was married' scenario
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1880/06469/4860711.pdf

In 1880 he was a widower and the death was reported by a Sarah Shaw but no indication of her relationship to Wm Shaw is given.  Did Wm jnr & his wife have any children called Sarah?

Often if you know the children's names they can provide clues for going back.

What is the basis for the belief that the family was from Antrim? 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 May 21 12:44 BST (UK) »
I remember doing a quick search for William & Agnes Shaw yesterday but the problem wasn't no results it was too many possibilities.
Who was the informant for William Shaw's death in 1894? It's possible that his mother Agnes (Nancy or Ann) was known as both Jamieson & Ferguson.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Chris5856

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 20:52 BST (UK) »
I remember doing a quick search for William & Agnes Shaw yesterday but the problem wasn't no results it was too many possibilities.
Who was the informant for William Shaw's death in 1894? It's possible that his mother Agnes (Nancy or Ann) was known as both Jamieson & Ferguson.

Yes there were far too many William Shaws. I have the death certificate for William Shaw in Glasgow 1894. The informant was his daughter in law. One the reason I think the surname of This William's mother may be incorrect. At present Ive no way of telling if she used both names. Thanks for your reply.
Delaney - Airdrie
Dunn - Liverpool

Offline Chris5856

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 21:01 BST (UK) »
So you have the death cert of Wm Shaw the younger 1852-1894.  You are looking for the marriage of the parents or his marriage?  Am presuming the parents?  Was the wife of Wm Shaw the younger also born in Ireland. If so what are her parents names please?

Have you obtained or looked for the deaths of Wm Shaw the older and Agnes Jamieson Shaw?

There is this Antrim death that fits in with the 'alive when Wm Jnr was married' scenario
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1880/06469/4860711.pdf

In 1880 he was a widower and the death was reported by a Sarah Shaw but no indication of her relationship to Wm Shaw is given.  Did Wm jnr & his wife have any children called Sarah?

Often if you know the children's names they can provide clues for going back.

What is the basis for the belief that the family was from Antrim?

Yes Im looking for the marriage of his parents William Shaw & Anges Jamieson. I have not found the deaths of either of them. There is no Sarah in the family. Unfortunately younger Williams wife was born in Glasgow. Its the families belief that the Shaws were from Antrim. Thanks for your interest
Delaney - Airdrie
Dunn - Liverpool