Author Topic: Help with Alec R Lea puzzle please  (Read 290 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Alec R Lea puzzle please
« on: Wednesday 05 May 21 17:12 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate some help with making sense of records relating to Alec R Lea.
In the 1911 Census he was aged 4 in Earley, Reading, Berks. Although not stated explicitly in the census, he was the grandson of the head of household, Richard Lea, and the son of Harry Kenilworth Lea. Alec was born in Nova Scotia.

I’ve found information online which strongly suggests that Alec R Lea later became an author, mainly of books for children (lived 1907-2003). An online biography I found seems to have too many similarities to be coincidental.

In 1938 an Alec Richard Lea was a farmer from Okehampton, Devon when he sailed to Canada (planning to return to England).
In the 1939 register Alec R Lea was a dairy farmer in Cuckfield, Sussex. Living with him was widower Margaret M Lea, born 1880.

Alec Richard Lea’s father died in 1912 in Nova Scotia. Alec’s mother, according to the 1911 Census, was Marion (born 1880, oddly enough) so if Alec in 1939 is the same individual it would seem that Margaret M Lea was not his mother. I am missing the baptism of one of Alec’s father’s siblings, who might well have been born about 1880. (I was recently given very valuable help in the Common Room sorting out grandfather Richard Lea and his brother Christopher.)

Does Alec of the 1911, 1938 and 1939 records look convincingly like the same person? (His books include writing about cows.)

Finally, what would be the best way to try to trace any male heirs he may have had?

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Alec R Lea puzzle please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 17:36 BST (UK) »
Deaths Dec qtr 1977 
LEA    MARGARET MARIAN    Date of birth 31 MAR 1880   
CLARO reg dist    2   2025

She left a will according to the probate index
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 18:38 BST (UK) »
 Death Notice - Harry was described as son in law of Canon Nash of Standish Vicarage, Glos. (Cheltenham Chronicle, 6 July 1912)

Birth Registration
Margaret Marian Nash, Jun qtr 1880, Gloucester, 6A 322 - mother's maiden name Cowslade

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 20:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this information. I really need to develop more lateral thinking in family history research: it seems obvious now I can see these records that Margaret M Lea could have been known by her middle name Marion!

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight