Author Topic: Grave and Headstone Location at St Hilary Church Cemetery, Wallasey, Cheshire  (Read 773 times)

Offline Alan101

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Good Evening,

I've been trying to find the burial location and possibly the headstone of my great great grandfather, who I believe was buried at St Hilary Church Cemetery in Wallasey.
I have been lucky enough to find my grandparents and great grandparents at Rake Lane Cemetery in Wallasey, but as this cemetery opened later in time I believe my GG Grandfather to be in the older Cemetery of St Hilary, is there any way to confirm this and perhaps obtain a possible grave location?
His name was: John Cole born 1836 in Droitwich, Worcestershire, he married Mary Holmes (b.1837) I believe in 1858 and moved to an address in Liscard, Wallasey, Cheshire, I believe he died around 1882, I've not found any more on Mary (May) his wife, but to find both names on a headstone would provide an answer.
So grateful if anyone can offer any help or pointers.

Many thanks,
Alan

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grave and Headstone Location at St Hilary Church Cemetery, Wallasey, Cheshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 19:33 BST (UK) »
He was buried 15 May 1882 in St Hilary, Wallasey.

It might be wirthwhile contacting the church as I haven't found anything else on line so far.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grave and Headstone Location at St Hilary Church Cemetery, Wallasey, Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 20:28 BST (UK) »
Good Evening,

I've been trying to find the burial location and possibly the headstone of my great great grandfather, who I believe was buried at St Hilary Church Cemetery in Wallasey.

His name was: John Cole born 1836 in Droitwich, Worcestershire, he married Mary Holmes (b.1837)
I believe in 1858 and moved to an address in Liscard, Wallasey, Cheshire, I believe he died around 1882,

I've not found any more on Mary (May) his wife, but to find both names on a headstone would provide an answer.

Sorry no help with burials they did marry 1858

4 Jul 1858 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire

John Cole, Butcher, Bachelor, Gt. Homer St.
Father Daniel, butcher

Mary Holmes , Spinster, Moss St.
Father John, farmer

Witness: Peter Evans; Ann Evans
Details Lancashire OPC

Could this be her death entry

Mary Cole
Registration Year:   1908
Registration Quarter:   Apr-May-Jun
Age at Death:   69
Registration District:   Birkenhead Cheshire
Volume:   8a Page:   326

Mary’s pob on census given as Ulverston - Is this her on 1901 census?

Piece:   3403 Folio:   17 Page Number:   25
22 St Alban Terrace Cheshire
Mary Cole Head wid m 60 Ulverston, Lancashire
Ernest Cole son 18 Liscard, Cheshire

Amended/Edited
1901 census says ‘m’ and 1891 census ‘Wid’ crossed out Head written
Mary and Ernest Cole at same address on 1891c  RG12; Piece: 2895; Folio: 31; Page: 14

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alan101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 May 21 07:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the lookups.

I'll have another look around the church grounds and will definitely try contacting the church if no success.

Thanks also for the information around Mary, I believe it is her on the 1901 census, the St Alban, Liscard address is correct, the edit from wid to m adds a complication.

Perhaps the headstone if found will provide a few more lost details.

Many thanks

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 July 21 23:41 BST (UK) »
Alan

Just checking, but i presume you've checked out all the Coles that come up for Rake Lane Cemetery, on the  "findagrave" web site

Regards

Stewart
Reid, Wolfendale, Hawkin, Tapp
Plymouth, Macclesfield, Liverpool.