Author Topic: Hunt Family Connections in Kingsclere  (Read 665 times)

Offline 3lle00

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hunt Family Connections in Kingsclere
« on: Wednesday 05 May 21 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I trace my family to the Hunt surname via Martha Hunt (I believe her surname was different a birth but this was her fathers surname) whom married John Soper.
From Martha Hunt I then have

William Hunt   1714      Kingsclere, Hampshire, England
James Hunt   1684      Kingsclere, Hampshire, England m. Elizabeth Horwood
William Hunt   1655      Kingsclere, Hampshire, England m. Johanna Hynd
Thomas Hunt   1630      Kingsclere, Hampshire, England m. Ann Baddeley

of Which Thomas Hunt many people on Ancestry (900+) have the information that his parents were Elizabeth Jessup & Richard Thomas Hunt. Yet I cannot find anything which would link Thomas Hunt to these parents, yet many people have this information down....Am I missing any documents here?

Edit: of which these parents are from the USA

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hunt Family Connections in Kingsclere
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 May 21 16:39 BST (UK) »
So am I correct in thinking that John Soper & Martha Hunt married in 1768?  Was William Hunt her father? The couple married by licence and Martha's age is given as 21.  She may have been a little older, but John's age is given as 24 so I think it is likely to be reasonably accurate.  Why do you think her name was different at birth?  There is a baptism in Kingsclere for a Martha Hunt on 27 Feb 1746/47, parents William & Hannah.  Is this likely to be her?

William Hunt baptised 17 Feb 1713/14 was the son of James & Elizabeth, but I cannot find a marriage in Kingsclere or surrounding Hampshire parishes.  There was a daughter Elizabeth baptised in 1712, another daughter Joan in 1718, son Stephen in 1721, Mary in 1727.

There is a baptism for a James Hunt  20 July 1684, son of William & Joan Hunt at Kingslcere.  William Hunt married Joanna Hynd 23 June 1678 at Kingsclere. 

There were a large number of Hunt families baptising children in Kingsclere so it is important to ensure that you investigate any burials as well to see which children survived.

I can find a William Hunt baptised in 1652, son of William, no mother named.  No other William in the 1650s that I can see.  Since this is the Commonwealth period, the completeness of the records cannot be guaranteed.

A Thomas Hunt, son of Thomas Hunt was baptised 24 April 1631 at Kingsclere, no mother's name mentioned.

It is quite unusual to find two forenames given to people in the 17th century.  And I can find no marriage for Elizabeth Jessup to anyone named Hunt in Hampshire.

I'm not sure where the USA fits into all this.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 3lle00

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 May 21 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, Yes there are national archive /or similar (I can't remember) as the two were not married when Martha was born so there was a court case about claiming william hunt as martha's father. Hence the line I was able to find left through wills. aha yes I have no idea how many people have linked this to the US either.
*It was from Thomas Hunt's parents onwards...

Offline PamberG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hunt Family Connections in Kingsclere
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 May 21 12:26 BST (UK) »
Martha Hunt married John Soper on 8 August 1768 at St Mary in Kingsclere by licence. In the marriage licence John was recorded as a bachelor aged 24 & a yeoman from Kingsclere and Martha as a spinster aged 21 from Kingsclere.

On 11 October 1766 John had signed a bond jointly with his father William in respect of an illegitimate daughter born to Martha Hunt in 1766. The daughter was Sarah Hunt baptized on 18 April 1766 at Kingsclere. Martha & John had another 8 children and I can supply more details if required.

I think Martha was baptized on 27 February 1746/7 at Kingsclere, the daughter of William & Hannah, and the baptism record has her date of birth 12 January 1746/7. This ties in with her age of 21 at marriage.

I have been unable to find a marriage for William & Hannah in Kingsclere or any surrounding parishes. William was probably the one baptized 17 February 1713/4 in Kingsclere. I have not tried to find earlier generations, but will have a look over the next few days/weeks.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 May 21 12:36 BST (UK) »
The burial of Martha Soper 31 Jul 1830 has her as age 83 (1747)
John was buried 7 Jan 1821 age 80

Martha and John Soper named children;
Mary/John/William/James/Thomas/Hannah/Lucy

My guess is John Parents were William/Elizabeth

As John/Martha name children William/Hannah I agree that the bapt found by Nell 27 Feb 1746/7 is likely to be her.

Trish :)

EDIT I see PamberG agrees
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)