Author Topic: Breymann's Institute, Wolfenbuttel, Braunschweig.  (Read 256 times)

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Breymann's Institute, Wolfenbuttel, Braunschweig.
« on: Thursday 06 May 21 15:18 BST (UK) »

Hello,
I have inherited a large amount of postcards dating from late 1890's to 1907, these were addressed to either Mary Valentine of Millbank house Girvan or to her sister Rose. These are family members
..A few of these cards are addressed to Rose at the Breymann's Institute dated between 31st Dec 1898 and 26th July 99.

Rose was a doctors daughter born in Girvan in 1879, she didn't marry and never was employed. I would like to know if possible what Rose was studying at the institute.

Rose attended Girvan Burgh School and the Ayr Academy then went on to be a boarder at the Wynthrop College Ashton upon Mersey, she also attended Glasgow School of Art 1911-1912.

Rose was gifted artistically and I wondered if the Breymann Institute was connected to Art.

Thanks in anticipation
Patricia
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Breymann's Institute, Wolfenbuttel, Braunschweig.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 May 21 15:44 BST (UK) »
Newspaper ads describe it as a boarding school for young ladies.

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 May 21 15:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you,

looks like she spent a lot of time at various schools, probably went there from Wynthrop college which also advertised itself as a school for daughters of Gentlemen.. Art would have been taught there which would lead her to the Glasgow School of Art

Patricia
ps
Just a thought was the newspaper ad in an English paper?

Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 May 21 16:05 BST (UK) »
The ones I saw were Glasgow Herald 24 July 1897 and The Scotsman 25 July 1896.  There may have been others but I didn't go on looking.

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 May 21 16:09 BST (UK) »
That's fine, you have been a great help.

I tried on internet but couldn't find anything other than when the institute was started ..

Once again, thank you, keep safe, Patricia x