Author Topic: Address on Birth Certificate Not Appearing on the Census?  (Read 408 times)

Offline bfrance99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Address on Birth Certificate Not Appearing on the Census?
« on: Thursday 06 May 21 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have recently ordered a birth certificate for a relative, who was born in 1907 in Brighouse, Halifax, West Yorkshire. The mother’s address that is given is in Brighouse (there was no father registered on the birth certificate). The address is 54 Commercial Street, and their surname is Leach.

I know where the relative is living in the 1911 census, and I know where her mother was also living (they weren’t living in the same household in 1911). However, neither address is 54 Commercial Street (they were actually in Huddersfield).

I was looking into the address as I was wondering if another relative was living there, or perhaps if it was some kind of women’s shelter?

However, it seems to be completely missing from the 1911 census! I have found the address on the 1901 census but it appears to be empty.

I am unsure if the address was deliberately given as a false address for the birth certificate? Has anyone heard of this before? Any help is appreciated. Many thanks.

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Address on Birth Certificate Not Appearing on the Census?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 May 21 17:27 BST (UK) »
There is a new Census address search feature in Findmypast. I don't have a sub to open any results but it shows 34 households living there 1911, but no number 54, goes 51, 55, 56/58, 57, 59/61.

Though some people stayed at same address, others moved frequently in the 1890-1915 period. From Electoral rolls published in Newcastle, found at at least 7 different addresses in 4 year period in (it records all 3 under voters qualifying address x, formerly y, previously z) and have come across births or marriage addresses at property marked as vacant in Belfast Street Directories compiled in the 6 months previous or following the event. Whether this was a false address, they were squatting, or simply moved is hard to determine.

Informants could quite easily state a false address to the GRO, the GRO were not required to check the validity of the information provided, hence the number of fathers invented out of thin air. Also instances seen eg on 2nd marriage they said father William when had said John on 1st marriage, and their brother says father James.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Address on Birth Certificate Not Appearing on the Census?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 15:42 BST (UK) »
I don't think electoral rolls for Halifax are online (although I may be wrong!).  They are on microfilm at Halifax Central Library
https://www.calderdale.gov.uk/v2/residents/leisure-and-culture/local-history-and-heritage/local-studies-and-family-history/poll-books

As Jon_ni points out, tenants renting properties could move frequently - it is quite possible that 54 Commercial Street was temporarily unoccupied at the time of the census.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk