Author Topic: Arthur E Woodcock photograph for dating, please  (Read 587 times)

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
Arthur E Woodcock photograph for dating, please
« on: Thursday 06 May 21 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all, hope everyone’s well.

This is my latest purchase from eBay, a lovely CDV of one Arthur E Woodcock, of 869 Clough Villas, Manchester Road, Bradford.

Could anyone date it for me?  I find photos of men really difficult to pin down.

It’s a long shot, but I’m trying to find out whether he’s related to my own Woodcock ancestors, and intend to do some research on him, and if I had a date for the pic, it would be so helpful.

Thank you!

PS - If anyone would like to use this pic to practice restoration, or colourisation etc, please feel free to do so.  I may be able to post a slightly larger version.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur E Woodcock photograph for dating, please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 May 21 22:35 BST (UK) »
I would suggest a date of 1880s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 May 21 22:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol!  How have you arrived at that date, would you mind telling me?
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 May 21 23:01 BST (UK) »
There was a Arthur Ernest Woodcock born 4 June 1858 in Cleckheaton, Yorkshire and was the son of James Woodcock and Susannah Matilda Tordoff. Probate says he died 5 May 1940 in Milnwood, Bradford Road, Burley in Wharfedale, Yorkshire. His occupation was Physician and surgeon. This could be your man. Lots of trees on Ancestry for him.

Hope this is of help
Pauline

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 May 21 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol!  How have you arrived at that date, would you mind telling me?

The shirt and tie and the suit look right for the 1880s, no doubt Jim will be more accurate, he's better at dating men than me and all my dating books are packed ready to move.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 May 21 07:23 BST (UK) »
There was a Arthur Ernest Woodcock born 4 June 1858 in Cleckheaton, Yorkshire and was the son of James Woodcock and Susannah Matilda Tordoff. Probate says he died 5 May 1940 in Milnwood, Bradford Road, Burley in Wharfedale, Yorkshire. His occupation was Physician and surgeon. This could be your man. Lots of trees on Ancestry for him.

Hope this is of help
Pauline

He would have been about 30 towards the end of the 1880s. I think the subject of the photograph is older than that.

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 May 21 10:44 BST (UK) »
1890's & may creep into early 1900's.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 May 21 13:47 BST (UK) »
My try at a restore. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 May 21 13:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you, everyone, that’s all really interesting! I found what seems to be the Arthur Ernest born in 1858, as a physician, in the 1891 census, so that ties in with the info from Pauline.

I too was wondering what age he’d be, if the photo is the same chap.  I know he’s lost his hair, but his face still looks young, so I thought maybe he could just possibly be early thirties, if the photo was the 1880s.

But if Jim’s saying late 1890s/very early 1900s, and if he’s the physician, then he’d be early-mid 40s.  Again, he could be.

There was an Arthur Woodcock living at another Manchester Road address in one of the censuses, which seems too much of a coincidence.  I think that one’s father was Samuel.  I’ll have to take another look.

I must say that I can imagine this man being a physician!  He looks the part 😂